Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

10mg only combined pill

(6 Posts)
Rainbowsandunicorns88 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:35:43

In the USA this is called lo-loestrin 10mg. Is there a U.K. equivalent? I can only find 20mg.

Rufus27 Mon 08-May-17 22:25:48

Qlaira is mainly 20mg, but it's bio identical estrogen, not synthetic, so still much, much less potent than the usual 20mg pills. It's a multi phase pill particularly aimed at older women in peri menopause. It's very expensive so GPs tend not to prescribe it without reason.

PacificDogwod Mon 08-May-17 22:32:45

List of pills - no Loestrin 10 in sight.
I have not heard of it in the UK.

Rainsbow Tue 09-May-17 20:36:19

Thanks. I'll look into qlaira

Rainsbow Tue 09-May-17 20:41:31

Rufus what is bio-identical?

Rufus27 Wed 10-May-17 11:32:52

It's more like the estrogen our own bodies produce rather than a synthetic form. (The progesterone in it is a fourth generation one, but unlike other pills, it isnt in all 28 of the pills). My GP said it's therefore less potent and potentially safer. It's called Natazia in the US and some parts of Europe, I think. Do remember that it's fairly new and much, much more expensive compared with the standard pills, so you might have to push a bit for it! I had a few side effects initially (sore breasts and slight spotting), as I have had with all the pills I've taken, but after three or four months, this pill made me feel better than I had in years - plus I dont get a period/bleed with it either. Dont be put off by the four different phases - it's designed to mimic your own body's natural cycle rather than giving you the same does every day. Also, it only has two blank pills (unlike regular pills which have 7) so you dont get that horrible PMT feeling when you reach the final week. Instead the last few pills just have a very low dose of estrogen, no progesterone, so it's much milder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now