Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception aged 40+

(34 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Wed 05-Apr-17 19:47:00

Hi
I'm interested to hear what contraception works for you in your 40s. I have been on the pill for years but am aware I can't stay on it forever. Also my moods and PMT are becoming worse the older I get. I don't really know what else to use, apart from condoms of course but I need something that is as reliable as possible.
Any advice/experiences gratefully received.

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 14:46:00

God I came off it in my late 20s. I had my last child aged 36 and have been using the withdrawl method ever since! I'm very good with my periods and tend to know my ovulation times so it's clear when our risky time is.

No accidents at all. I won't and would not continue to take a powerful drug which affected me in so many ways.

I hate condoms. I'm obviously not the most responsible person in the world but DH and I decided it was a risk we were happy to take and so far it's ok.

NerrSnerr Thu 06-Apr-17 14:49:33

My GP told me I could stay on the implant until menopause. It works well for me so plan to keep using it.

Anasnake Thu 06-Apr-17 14:52:15

Mini pill for me

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 15:30:24

Ooh just seen the replies thank you! Withdrawal method not an option as I need something as reliable as possible (not medically safe for me to give birth again)
I don't know much about the implant, interesting nerrsnerr you've been told OK to stay on it until menopause. How do you find your moods in general with it?

Namelesswonder Thu 06-Apr-17 15:44:19

My GP told me I could stay on the mini pill till around 55.

SleepFreeZone Thu 06-Apr-17 15:49:39

I think contraception in your forties is a bit bonkers. But then I'm 42, would love anothe baby and whilst we never use any protection I also don't get pregnant lol. It's pretty funny.

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 15:54:06

Why bonkers sleepfree? I already stated I can't risk having another baby. I could die giving birth. I have two DS who need their mum. I have a DH who would like his wife to be here, whilst being able to have a healthy sex life. I am looking for an effective form of contraception which is safe to use in my 40s, with as few side effects as possible.
I will look into the mini pill, thank you for suggesting it PPs.

FloatedWide Thu 06-Apr-17 15:54:41

I was thinking about the coil (non hormonal one). You can have one for ten years providing your periods aren't heavy.

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 15:56:31

Is that a copper coil Floated? I wonder if that could work for me. I am going to book a GP appointment to discuss my options.

FloatedWide Thu 06-Apr-17 15:57:27

Yeah, I think so. I need to go and have a chat too but at my six week check yesterday it came up as a good option.

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 15:57:48

Don't really know if my natural periods would be heavy as I've been on the pill for so many years, they're very light at the moment.

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 15:58:03

Thanks floated

SillySongsWithLarry Thu 06-Apr-17 15:58:45

I was sterilised age 23. It has been reliable so far. I would definitely recommend it for someone who are sure that their baby days are done.

Ollivander84 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:58:52

I'm younger but have a copper coil and love it - I don't do well with hormones! I forget I have it. Periods slightly longer, they used to be 5-6 days and now more 6-7 but that's it

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 06-Apr-17 15:59:00

What about the snip? Do you have a partner or DH? Or could you have the operation yourself? Tubes tied?

Thirtyrock39 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:59:21

I had a bad time with the mini pill really affected me mentally havevtried it twice for about a year (was told things would improve after 6 months). I was feeling suicidal by a year on it and feel a million times better now. The benefits of it were that I never got my period and it reduced my headaches but otherwise I'd never recommend it.
We are now using condos. Want dh to get the snip but seems unlikely . People say the copper coil is good

Thirtyrock39 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:59:49

Condoms not condos !

beekeeper17 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:01:13

What about your partner getting a vasectomy? I have a lot of friends who have gone with that option once they're into their forties and know that they don't want any more children, to allow their partner to come off contraception.

FloatedWide Thu 06-Apr-17 16:01:17

That's good to know olli, I don't know anyone who's used one. I'm not interested in hormonal stuff so apart from condoms the coil seems the only option.

Ollivander84 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:03:53

I haven't had DC and the fitting was ok. I asked for instilligel or however you spell it, it's a local anaesthetic gel. They use a speculum, then measure womb (that was worst bit for me, just like one huge period cramp) then the coil goes in
I would go to a family planning who do them every day, my fitter used to be a midwife so I trust her a lot! On my second now as I've had 5 year ones

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 16:04:17

Thirtyrock sorry to hear that, what a horrid experience flowers
Those of you asking about DH, yes I do need to have that conversation with him. Things are a little complicated by the fact that he also has a medical condition. (We're not very lucky with our health in general!)
Yes I could ask about getting sterilised myself. No idea how effective it is. Would need to do some research.
Really appreciate all the replies everyone, its giving me lots to think about.

FloatedWide Thu 06-Apr-17 16:05:43

Your 'Fitter' grin

PosiePootlePerkins Thu 06-Apr-17 16:07:32

Like a kitchen fitter, but with a very small appliancegrin

Ollivander84 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:12:47

Very much so. I panicked after seeing the box it came in - if you have to collect it yourself it's about a foot and a half long gringrin
She's moved to a different place about 40 mins away but I'll still go there. I fired the speculum out and she made me cry laughing by going "ah, someone does their pelvic floor exercises. Let's try that again"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now