Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pill, coil, implant dilemmas!

(2 Posts)
user1490644872 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:37:53

Hi,

After 12 years of using condoms as contraceptive as I didn't want to go on the pill after having my last child I finally took the plunge last year and started taking the pill.

My main motivation was feeling so thoroughly fed-up of heavy and painful periods and wanting to be in control with regards to sports/swimming etc... I was prescribed microgynon and for the first few months had quite erratic mood swings and was tearful which eventually settled down. I do have migraines with aura (infrequently) but my GP does not feel I need to come off the pill.

I have realised after being on the pill for nearly a year that it has changed me. I feel very flat most of the time, short tempered and find it quite hard to get excited or enthusiastic about things. My sex drive has plummeted too. I have palpitations regularly daily but my blood pressure is perfect (go figure?) but I guess this could be nothing to do with the pill?

So, now I am in a pickle about what to do. I can't carry on like this. I'm not depressed but I do want to be me again, but, I don't want to revert back to the heavy and painful periods I used to have to contend with.

I am considering implant or coil as alternatives but keep reading lots of horror stories.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks smile

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Sun 16-Apr-17 21:06:39

Some people really swear by the Mirena IUS for heavy periods. However it does contain a small amount of progesterone that is released into the uterus. Copper foil hasn't got hormones but it might make periods heavier- maybe people with experience of this can comment.

I am also considering my options having tried most categories of pills. I suspect I haven't found the right progesterone or combination pill for me yet but I'm fed up with having to ride out months of bleeding/ bad skin/low mood/fluid retention/achiness etc so I might give the copper coil a go.

Bizarrely, dianette never caused me any problems, presumably as it doesn't contain a progesterone. It's no longer used for contraception, however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now