Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

terrified chlamydia has ruined my fertility

(13 Posts)
catley Wed 08-Mar-17 15:35:04

I'm freaking out right now.

Yesterday I found out I have chlamydia.

I am utterly mortified. My fiancée is the only sexual partner I have ever had and he was in a long term relationship before me. I know it makes no difference but this is just a major shock to the system. I feel disgusting but am coming to terms with it as it is easily treatable.

We have also been ttc 14 months. I'm terrified that the reason we haven't conceived is because the chlamydia has made me infertile sad obviously I don't know when exactly I contracted it, but we started having sex without a condom (on the pill) around late 2014.

I'm really hoping that once we're treated we'll find it easier to concieve and that this was the reason behind all our problems short term. I'm just so scared of the long term damage.

I quite often have pelvic pain but I always thought that was ovulation, it's never that bad and at most feels pretty similar to gas. I've always had completely irregular and unpredictable cycles. Just for info my partner has had a semen analysis which came back normal.

I know to get peice of mind I need to wait until I'm treated and see a gyno I'm just really worried now. Everytime I feel a little twinge I panic!!

Has anyone had chlamydia and concieved afterwards? And if so do you have a rough idea of how long you had it?

Thanks all and sorry for being so gross and disgusting :///

catley Thu 09-Mar-17 17:45:03

Anyone? Please??

Idefix Thu 09-Mar-17 18:06:02

Cat really sorry you are feeling so upset and worried. I haven't had chlamydia so I can't comment on this aspect of your problem. Try not to feel so disgusted, chlamydia is so successful as a disease because it causes so few symptoms. The symptoms you describe could well be attributable to ovulation, but perhaps you will notice a change. Make sure you finish the course and return for follow up screening to make sure you are both clear. It is important to use condoms until you get the all clear...iirc

Has your GP advised you about next steps after this? Will you need to continue ttc for while after you are given the all clear? The main thing is it is being dealt with. Totally understand how upsetting it just be flowers

SilenceOfTheYams Thu 09-Mar-17 18:10:36

Is your fiancé being tested/treated as well?

catley Thu 09-Mar-17 19:00:10

Idefix thank you for your kind words support is all I need right now!

SilenceOfTheYams yes we are both on the same meds

Toobloodytired Thu 09-Mar-17 19:07:55

It's highly likely you've had it since 2014 sad

What has your fiancé said?? Didn't he think to get checked when his last relationship ended??

Idefix Thu 09-Mar-17 19:35:32

I think the problem with testing is that people don't identify as being high risk. I rarely get anyone over the age of 25-30 (mostly 25 and younger) coming for non-symptomatic screening and advice. I don't work in a gum clinic so i don't get a full perspective.

Has your fiancé informed his previous partner?

You will get over this Cat it is just a horrible to come to terms with. As Too says it is very likely that you have had it for this long. I have dealt with several cases where pt won't tell there partner and return over several years with symptoms/picked up on screening such as smear test (smear tests often come back as inadequate due to too many polymorph cells obscuring the cervix cells)

GingerGetThePopcorn Thu 09-Mar-17 19:56:45

My parents were TTC off and on for 10 years with no success. I'm not sure exactly how, but it was discovered through some sort of routine test that they had chlamydia (this was the 80s, my mum said she had never heard of it until she was told she had it). They had been faithful to one another since the early days of their relationship so must have had it for more than a decade. It was treated with antibiotics. I was born the following year and my brother 17 months later.

They never knew for sure that it was the chlamydia stopping her getting pregnant but it could have been. At any rate it didn't do any lasting damage to their fertility. I hope similar happens for you!

hideehigh Thu 09-Mar-17 20:59:52

I had chlamydia when I was 19 and I have since had a child.
I think when you have it it clogs up your tubes which makes conceiving difficult (and raises likelihood of ectopic pregnancy) but once it's treated hopefully it'll clear your tubes out and you'll be good to go!
(^Disclaimer: I'm no medical professional, this is what I remember from years ago, I think it's right) ^
Don't panic- it doesn't mean automatic infertility

catley Thu 09-Mar-17 21:15:35

Toobloodytired he had a urine test before we met and I think he thought it would've been picked up then. I guess as they weren't looking for it they didn't find it.

GingerGetThePopcorn thank you I really hope once this is cleared up everything will be fine

hideehigh that is exactly what I'm hoping is the case, that the reason we have has difficulty conceiving is because of the chlamydia but once it's gone we will successfully conceive. I'm just so terrified because the worst always seems to happen to me!!.

Thanks all

jumpinghoops Thu 09-Mar-17 21:22:14

I had it when I was 21, I couldn't work out how long for (had no symptoms) and it was found during a routine smear test. I went on to conceive 2 children, one aged 30, another aged 33 both in first month of trying.

catley Thu 09-Mar-17 23:29:29

jumpinghoops thank you that's making me feel more positive smile

Out of interest those who have had it and then successfully conceived, do you have a rough idea of how long you may have had it for?

AllkaSalsa Wed 02-Aug-17 02:01:04

Hi Catley
I had the dreaded Chlamydia too, 9 months and a cheating liar boyfriend. I had been so careful myself and got tested at end of every relationship and always had the awkward convo at the beginning of one. But alas. I had it maximum 9 months and minimum 2. The cheat was rumbled you see- not a lasting relationship!
I think it got bad as had awful back pain and it symptoms. I have same fears as you about infertility and tubal damage. We have been ttc a year time wise but on our 7th cycle (missed a few along the way). In the time we have trying two friends conceived and have birth as well as a sister. It is very hard to cope with not knowing! You aren't alone. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now