Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sterilisation & womb ablation

(8 Posts)
FoxTeaParty Tue 07-Mar-17 20:51:34

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had the above done together and how it was after. I can't have any form of contraceptives besides condoms. I have been put through medical menopause to give me body a break from my periods. They are extremely heavy, painful and long. I am definitely finished having children so this seems like a good choice for me. Any insight would be really appreciated.

FoxTeaParty Thu 09-Mar-17 10:02:03

Anyone? gin

toribones Tue 14-Mar-17 13:39:19

Not sure about ablation but I have been sterilised with Essure implants. I would not recommend Essure to anyone, it is a terrible device and causing many side effects and ill health. I had to have a hysterectomy to remove Essure sad

Northumberlandlass Tue 14-Mar-17 13:44:03

I had them done separately.

Sterilised (clipped) and a few years later ablation.
Absolute godsend!

My periods do last for 6 or 7 days but so light, that I don't really need to use anything. That was compared to Super Max ones falling out within a hour due to flow and not being able to move from the toilet on some days.

Sterilised took a few days to recover, a little painful where they went in through tummy button - GA effects took about a week to go.

Ablation - no worries at all. No pain - just some discharge etc.

HeyMicky Tue 14-Mar-17 13:54:32

I had them done together last September. Bloody brilliant.

I had long, heavy periods with crippling cramps. Got worse after two children. GP and consultant didn't argue at all.

The surgery was fine, the scars are tiny. I went in at 1, had my tubes snipped and an ablation. DH went to a film while I was under and recovering, we drove home and I went to bed but I had no real pain, just felt a bit bruised. I didn't bleed much afterwards at all. I worked from home for a week to avoid the long car drive but i felt fine.

No periods since. No cramps. No contraception. It's wonderful.

FoxTeaParty Tue 14-Mar-17 18:29:35

Thank you for the replies I really appreciate it. I have recently read about the essure so it's something i will definitely avoid.

I have awful periods and they really do affect my life to the point I can't make plans on my heavier and more painful days. I panic I might not be close enough to a toilet or the pain can become so unbearable I can't move.

HeyMicky Tue 14-Mar-17 18:56:30

I used to flood when I stood up from lying down. Like a massacre every morning. I completely understand

The ablation has made SUCH a difference. Honestly, life changing. PM me if you have any Qs

FoxTeaParty Tue 21-Mar-17 16:46:04

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Had my gyne appointment yesterday and they said no to womb ablation but they would sterilize me hmm due to my age. Im 28 but 5 children, me and dh don't want anymore! Currently trying something else but if this doesn't work I will go back and fight my corner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now