Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long have you been on the combined pill? GP won't prescribe it for me anymore!

(16 Posts)
ChippyDucks Thu 23-Feb-17 16:39:22

Went to the GP today for a prescription for the pill, only to be told that they'll give me 3 months worth, but I've to use that time to think about my options!? Fair enough, I've been on it for 20 years on and off, had 2 children in that time, but really? I can remember going to the doc when I had been taking it for 12 or 13 years and waved away, being told that there's no risks and people have been on it much longer than I have. So I guess guidelines have changed sad I'm quite happy being on the pill and a bit grumpy that I'm being forced to change the contraception that obviously works for me. Is this really the opinion now, or have I got a flakey GP? hoping it's the latter

ChippyDucks Thu 23-Feb-17 17:26:12

Bump?

dementedpixie Thu 23-Feb-17 17:57:21

What age are you and do you have any risk factors that would preclude you from using the combined pill e.g. Overweight, high blood pressure, smoker, etc? If no risk factors then you can take it until late forties I think. I will look it up

dementedpixie Thu 23-Feb-17 17:59:38

https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/contraception-older-woman/ says it can be used until age 50 if no risk factors

ChippyDucks Thu 23-Feb-17 17:59:47

Not overweight, not a smoker, don't have high blood pressure?

ChippyDucks Thu 23-Feb-17 18:01:03

Thanks, I'll make an appt with a different gp then. She said that the current guidelines state that you should look to come off it after 8 years, 10 max

dementedpixie Thu 23-Feb-17 18:01:11

Your gp is being awkward then!

JassyRadlett Thu 23-Feb-17 18:01:49

I would be really unhappy about that sort of language from a GP to be honest - it's like a parent to a naughty child.

I am beyond sick of GPs who aggressively push long-term contraception on women who have clearly said they don't want it.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 23-Feb-17 18:10:31

I keep getting this advice at pill checks too! Like you, I'm not overweight, blood pressure fine and have been on it (with breaks for children) for years. I'm 40. I tried the mini pill last year and hated it; came out in spots, so they've put me back on the combined pill, at my request.

I'd say it depends which doctor or nurse you see, but I keep being given advice to consider other options. This has happened several times now although they continue to give me the pill confused

I'm starting to think my doctor is being sponsored by Mirena coil as she always promotes it!

If I were you, I'd ask to stay on the pill unless they consider you at high risk, and if so they need to clarify those risks?

Sidge Thu 23-Feb-17 19:01:47

She's talking rot.

If no risk factors (smoking being the most significant) then you can stay on it until you're 50 regardless of when you started on it.

See someone else when you go back in 3 months.

redandwhite1 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:07:05

20 years here

Came off to get pregnant and went back on about 4 months after giving birth

Due for a prescription next month so hope I don't have problems!!

ChippyDucks Thu 23-Feb-17 21:07:23

I'm on a low oestrogen combined pill, but the only factor I can think was an issue is that I've turned 35. Definitely going to see someone else when I go back in 3 months!

expatinscotland Thu 23-Feb-17 21:12:01

See someone else. I'd print out the linked material, too. Doesn't matter if you're 35, that is way outdated information.

Helenluvsrob Thu 23-Feb-17 21:15:52

Do your own research. He's the latest info from the most reutable source.
www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/documents/ukmec-2016/1ukmec-2016-entire-book-single-page-a4.pdf

Then take the printout with your circumstances high lighted and ask what they think ...

MrsBlondie Fri 24-Feb-17 11:16:19

I was made to come off my combined pill last year at age 40.
They said due to my age and breast cancer risks etc.

I'm now on the cooper coil which is fine but TBH I much preferred the pill and only changed as GP terrified me!

expatinscotland Fri 24-Feb-17 11:44:53

You may have to find another HCP or more than one, but you shouldn't have been made to come off the pill at 40 unless you had a condition that prevents you from using it. So many women get pushed onto LARC that is not suitable for them or that they don't want because something else is already working for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now