Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it worth me changing from Mirena to Copper coil?

(11 Posts)
BackToBasics2 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:31:02

Hello,

I had a Mirena coil fitted at the end of November last year. Have had the odd spotting etc but nothing to worry about. The problem is feel so bloated and uncomfortable around my middle area it's making me feel miserable and depressed. The odd thing is I haven't gained any weight, yet my trousers feel tight around the middle and uncomfortable. I just want to wear leggings for comfort at the moment.

The woman who fitted it said any side effects would settle after 6 months? Is this correct? I didn't get on with the pill (normal and mini) or the implant.

I originally went to get the Copper coil fitted because hormones in contraception hadn't agreed with me in the past but the woman convinced me a Mirena one would be better as she couldn't understand why anyone would want longer, heavier periods with the copper one.

I now thinking do I go back and get it changed to a copper one or hang on and see if it settles down?

Any advise would be greatly received.

MajesticWhine Sat 18-Feb-17 12:38:48

I have had both a Mirena and a copper coil. Personally I prefer the copper, even though the Mirena eliminated my periods. I prefer no hormonal interference. With Mirena I got ovarian cysts which became painful. There is so much promotion of Mirena which is a pity because anecdotally a lot of people have problems with it.

BackToBasics2 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:45:56

My periods were always shortish and quite light. My only worry would be I did suffer from PMT about a week before my period started where I would want to kill someone, had moods and felt bad tempered. Would this be worse on the copper coil?

I dread eating at the moment as after I feel horrible and really full even though I don't (and never have) eaten large meals.

MajesticWhine Sat 18-Feb-17 12:50:12

I don't think PMT could be worse on the copper coil. But I might be wrong.

BackToBasics2 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:53:23

Thank you. I think a may call the clinic on Monday and try to get an appointment. My experience from the pill and the implant is the side effects don't subside, they just linger...

DragonNoodleCake Sat 18-Feb-17 18:14:30

I have copper - refused Mirena as all hormonal based contraception just made my life hell. The side effects on the implant were horrendous.
Progesterone triggers my IBS, I've had doctors tell me I'm mad. I am not, it does. I can track my cycle on it. Everyday of both pg's I had IBS and sickness issues.
So I'm not surprised you are having lingering symptoms.
My periods are long and heavy, I accept that as payment to having 3 ok IBS weeks.

BackToBasics2 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:39:47

DragonNoodleCake, I hope you don't mind me asking but did you have heavy periods before the copper coil?

I'm hoping as my periods were quite short and light I might just end up with normal length, bit heavier periods which won't be too hard to manage.

Tbh I'm a bit peeved at myself as I should have gone with my instincts and had the copper one like I wanted to. I know how my body responds to hormone based contraceptives (the pill, mini pill and implant) and it's not good. I get moody, bad tempered, very constipated etc and the coil has made me bloated all the time and more depressed. I feel rotten.

The lady who fitted it said the hormone is only localised so the problems I had before shouldn't effect as much when I mentioned the evilness of it to my body.

I have managed to get an appointment tomorrow to have it removed thanks to a cancelation!

The appointment is to have it removed but I wonder if they would fit the copper one at the same time?

DragonNoodleCake Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:28

Probably 4-5 days medium to heavy pre - copper. 6-7 heavy to very heavy now smile

Quietlydemented Mon 20-Feb-17 18:29:34

My experience is that I've just had the mirena out after 5 years and had all sorts of niggling symptoms which I thought couldn't possibly be related to mirena. It turns out they all were though. It turns out I'm not perimenopausal at all!
Building myself up to get the copper one now.but if you think there's a change with the mirena I would say trust your instincts.

BackToBasics2 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:52:52

Thanks Dragon smile Mine are around 2/3 maybe 4 at a push days where the first day is "normal" bleeding then light after that.

What were your niggling symptoms Quietlydemented?

I definitely feel a change - mainly the bloating. Last year I was really proud I lost 1 and a half stone in weight and could fit in my trousers really well. Since having this coil fitted, whilst I haven't gained any weight, I feel full and bloated and my trousers feel uncomfortable around the middle. After eating I feel really uncomfortable in my tummy area too. The last few days all I eat is Branflakes, porriage and fruit just because it doesn't make me feel bloated after. sad

MrsBlondie Wed 22-Feb-17 12:59:48

I did. I have no problems with the cooper coil.
My periods are about 4-5 days long now and not really heavy at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now