Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vaginal Ring Contraception

(10 Posts)
MumTo2GirlsDT Wed 18-Jan-17 15:12:47

Has anyone any experiences with a vaginal Ring as contraception? I currently have the coil but want to change and have had every type of pill in the past. Nothing seems to work for me.

FruitCider Wed 18-Jan-17 15:20:52

Yes! I use nuvaring continuously for 28 days with no ring free week. Have used it for 2 years now. I haven't gained weight, my skin is great, pms virtually gone. I love it!

MumTo2GirlsDT Wed 18-Jan-17 15:46:36

@FruitCider how did you go about getting it? Is it through the gp's?
Would you say it's the better type of contraception of those that you have tried??

FruitCider Wed 18-Jan-17 16:09:12

I had to go and see the local GUM clinic as my gp doesn't offer it routinely. GUM were happy to write a letter recommending it but wouldn't prescribe it as they are not funded for it. It was a bit long winded but worth it.

I tried the following first.

IUD
Depot
Implant
POP x 4
COC x 2
Condoms

MaryWortleyMontagu Wed 18-Jan-17 16:17:45

I also use it and find it works well for me.

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Thu 26-Jan-17 15:19:47

I had to go to a family planning clinic. I actually got bad headaches with it (bizarrely, lower oestrogen preparations give me headaches) and had horrible brown discharge before passing giant clumps of tissue (possibly decidual cast).

I've tried so many different pills and I don't know what my options are.

user1485861713 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:09:07

Hi everyone, I have just posted to get advice on contraception methods then came across this one. I have never heard of the ring before, how does it work? do you place it yourself and if you do is it easy? what are your chances of using it the wrong way and getting pregnant? and what happens if you decide to stop it? does it mess up your cycles like a pill would do?

phatqueer Tue 31-Jan-17 17:11:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

newstartamiready Fri 03-Feb-17 11:26:18

I have it and it's great, periods last less time, no bad skin and it's easy to use! I really recommend it smile

VioletBow Wed 17-May-17 11:34:47

I used nuvaring for years due to being awful at remembering to take the pill, only stopping to ttc and whilst pregnant (obvs)
Went straight back into it a few months after having DD and initially it was great but after 2 years I began to get horrendous headaches and migraines due to the oestrogen and my body not coping as since having DD it seems to have caused a hormone imbalance.
If I hadn't had the headaches I would still be on it now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now