Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hormone free contraceptive?

(6 Posts)
cocodidit1 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:25:25

have three kids and i need to get on some sort of contraceptive.
I don't get on well with hormone based ones. I have tried the injection in my twenties- nearly lost my mind and put on two stone to boot!
Is there such a thing as a non or very low hormone contraceptive?
I know i need to go to the docs but they just fling you out the door with leaflets about everything so i would like a wee bit of knowledge beforehand.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 17-Jan-17 23:27:19

Copper IUD (not Mirena)
Diaphragm
Female condom
Sterilisation
Abstinence

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 17-Jan-17 23:28:02

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/what-is-contraception.aspx

cocodidit1 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:31:34

I might go the the Abstinence halo

Thanks Its all, my inside shrivel up when i read the word insertion.

Monkeyface26 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:37:54

Love my copper IUD. Insertion is unpleasant but not, in my experience, actually painful. Over and done with in 3 mins. Don't have to think about it again for at least 5 years.
I am on my 3rd coil. My periods were heavier for the first 12 months with each new coil, but then settled down. Definitely recommend it. More fun than abstinence and if you've got 3 dc, it definitely won't be the most uncomfortable or noteworthy bit of fango rummaging that you've been through!

cocodidit1 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:51:20

i liked the look of the copper coil but my periods are very heavy at the moment so this might be an issue. All pills i have researched seem to have a cut off point of 35 years. Which i have just reached!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now