Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low testosterone in women

(6 Posts)
kelj2 Sat 07-Jan-17 12:21:18

Not sure if this is the right thread to post but have any other women had low testosterone levels resulting in low or no sex drive? What did you do about it? I had a hormone implant put in but it's not working. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday but I'm curious to know if any other women have had the same problem?

TheFuzz Mon 09-Jan-17 17:04:47

As a bloke, it's been a massive battle for me to get replacement. There are many thinGS at play which can affect libido and some testosterone can convert to estrogen.

The main issue for blokes is fatigue if your levels aren't right. Even with the levels of treatment I have had its not helped greatly on the libido side. I genearly feel better and my blood tests and blood pressure are good on replacement.

Have you had blood tests to show testosterone levels once on replacement.

It's not an instant fix I am afraid. For me it's corrected my blood readings and I feel less tired.

kelj2 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:26:14

No I haven't had bloods since having the implant but I'm guessing that's what my doctor will suggest when I go see him today. I must say my fatigue did improve but now I'm exhausted again. I'm just really disappointed as I was really hoping this would work and it was quite expensive too so it just feels like a waste of money

TheFuzz Tue 10-Jan-17 09:30:17

I assume privately prescribed. Doctors have to go off blood readings and if you come back mid range then it's worked.

My levels should have been 20 nmol but I was getting just 9 first thing and only 5 in an afternoon. Minimum to receive treatment is 12. I spent quite a long time with seeing endocrinology to get put on replacement. My levels have been hit and miss.

The level in women is way lower hence I thought it was a surprise you got it on the NHS.

Mine was unfortunately caused by vasectomy.

kelj2 Tue 10-Jan-17 11:58:07

I'm in Australia so I'm assuming things probably work differently. I saw my private obstetrician/gynaecologist. I can't remember exactly what my levels were but he did say they were low for my age so although they weren't categorised as low they were the equivalent of a women in their 60's rather than their 20's. I did see just my regular GP today and he said it can take up to 8 weeks to feel a difference so just have to wait another month

TheFuzz Wed 11-Jan-17 14:51:57

It does take time. Injections for men can take upto a year to balance out on the 12 week one. I was on gel, then went to two weekly injections but they meant my bloods were up then massively down. Back on daily gel but have to make sure my wife or family don't come into contact with it on my skin.

I would imagine an implant taking a while as you will be on a very low dose (you don't want body hair).

It's hard enough for a bloke with levels of a 90 year old to get therapy never mind women in the UK.

So long as your levels get mid range it will be working. Only blood tests can tell you that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now