Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Implant - do you have one?

(9 Posts)
FaerieDusting Wed 28-Dec-16 19:17:59

I am booked in to get this in the new year but would like to hear from others who have had or have it please.

I am currently on the mini pill but want the implant as it's easier and I don't have to remember times and take tablets daily. Thanks.

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Wed 28-Dec-16 19:42:40

I did the same. Went from the mini pill to the implant this time last year.

It's been great but the first 6 weeks were hell. I felt pregnant. Nauseous, bloated and sore of boob.

I also ate everything that wasn't nailed down. After those 6 weeks though all symptoms disappeared and I've not had any periods at all.

iklboodolphRedNoseReindeer Wed 28-Dec-16 19:45:20

I'm on my third one. No real symptoms and only an occasional light bleed - usually when they've been changed over.

Purplebluebird Wed 28-Dec-16 19:46:55

I had implant for almost 3 years, following birth of my child. Was very happy with it overall, but I got my periods back after 1 year, so have now got Mirena coil instead, as it's more likely to get rid of the periods.

CrazyGreyhoundLady Wed 28-Dec-16 19:48:38

HATED the mini pill but adored my implant. Couple of weeks of symptoms then heaven. No worries for me and dp, no trying to remember tablets. No trouble when I wanted it removed and didn't find it affected my ability to conceive once it was out.

Having another one put in in the new year now dd is with us and can't wait blush

MrsBellefleur Wed 28-Dec-16 19:52:10

I've had two so six years in total. Had it out at the end of each 3 year period to ttc and fell pregnant both times within a month or two of removal.

I find the insertion ok and the removal about bearable. It made my periods a bit lighter but never stopped them unfortunately. I will be having a third put in I think once I push this baby out in a few months time as a coil is not for me.

I think it did reduce my sex drive slightly and I found it a bit more difficult to lose weight but they were the only side effects for me and the not having to remember to take a pill was a big plus for me. Have it put in and no need to think for 3 years.

Secretspillernamechange Wed 28-Dec-16 19:52:42

I'm on my second. Love that you don't have to worry about contraception but I do still bleed and although light it's very unpredictable which is annoying. I'll not have a period for 6 weeks, then bleed for 10 days, then a week off then some spotting then another small gap and a light period etc etc. which apparently is completely normal with the implant. I'm having mine out in a few months to TTC and looking forward to being hormone-free.

Scaffleen Wed 28-Dec-16 20:00:04

I've had the implant for a year and I've put on a lot of weight I plan to shift it in the new year. It takes a good few months to a year to settle down. I had the merina coil before and that was fantastic... except I got pregnant with it after having it in for 2 years then miscarried. So the implant was my only option.

cars254 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:58:32

I'm on my third overall and am having it removed Friday. I've found the side affects to not suit me at all - weight gain, low mood, low sex drive. I'm due to have copper coil fitted at same time but I've just started my period today so I'm going to have it fitted next week instead. I'm still toying with sterilisation (35, three kids already not planning anymore) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now