Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Did she do anything wrong or was she just rude?

(7 Posts)
30daysonly Mon 19-Dec-16 21:32:03

Bit of background:

Ive been on depo injection for 7 years, one nurse at my gp has told me at least 3 times on previous visits that the depo can affect bone density and asked me to consider a mirena. I told her I didn't want one but would consider other options. She told me it's mirena, depo or nothing. I'm happy with the depo so continued with it.

My last appointment was rescheduled and I had it done at another local drop in clinic. The nurse mentioned the mini pill as an alternative, with the same reasoning about bone density.

So, this time, I arrive 5 minutes early and get called through about 10 minutes later, the nurse says "left or right? You went elsewhere last time so I've lost track" no hello, have you been ok with the depo etc. I looked at the desk and she already had the needle and dose made up and unwrapped.

I told her I was going to ask about the mini pill, but we can do it next time, and gestured towards the needle.

She picked up the bowl with the needle in and walked towards the bin with it saying "fine, we will discuss the mini pill but i was under the impression you had booked a depo."

I was a bit hmm at this point, her attitude to me had been awful. I said "no it's fine I just wanted to discuss my options, we can do it next time, I was just worried about the bone density thing as the last nurse mentioned it again."

Her reply was "that study is based on a study of battered women who presented with unexplained fractures..well they would, wouldn't they? There's no risk to you" I was a bit shock at that.

Anyway this is much longer than i thought, but was she just rude or was she wrong to
A) not ask me if I had any issues the previous 6 months, not weigh me or do any health checks
B) have the needle open and dose made up before I arrived
C) the battered women comment/her general attitude?

Batteriesallgone Mon 19-Dec-16 21:35:23

Wow. She sounds like a dick. I'd put all this in a note to the practice manager to be honest and let them judge how serious it is.

30daysonly Mon 19-Dec-16 21:47:03

She has a reputation for being a dick and I've been on the receiving end a couple of times! I wanted to know if this standalone appointment was worth a word with someone so didn't mention that in the OP!

lilapril Mon 19-Dec-16 22:04:00

I think if she was just a bit rude and having an off day that would be one thing, but this sounds more than that... Basically implying that victims of domestic abuse try to hide their situation by blaming injuries on their birth control is definitely not ok! It shows she has both bias and a lack of knowledge about both control options.
Also, I wouldn't be happy with an injection that had been prepared before I got there...
Is there a way you could avoid having to see her? I would mention it too the practice manager, she may deny any unprofessionalism, but if others complain too it will build up a picture.

30daysonly Mon 19-Dec-16 22:14:24

I agree lil, I don't go for the small talk, I'm happy to get in and get out, but there was absolutely no preamble, her tone and body language were hostile from the off, and I'm not easily offended/upset.

It's the battered women comment that actually annoyed me. I could be one for all she knew. Plus she has pushed the bone density reason on me for the last 2 years, surely she should have just said 'new research shows there's actually no risk so no need to change'

30daysonly Mon 19-Dec-16 22:16:49

My hesitation is that due to her relationship to another senior member of the surgery, a complaint would need to go above them, and I'm not sure this warrants that. Probably why she gets away with it..

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Thu 22-Dec-16 09:29:01

Complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now