Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

At wits end with contraception

(10 Posts)
sniffle12 Mon 14-Nov-16 16:47:51

I'm in my late twenties, have been banned from the combined pill because of migraine with aura, have been trying the mini pill (Cerazette) and feel absolutely miserable on it, no sex drive, have gained weight, never-ending light bleeding. The doctor has prescribed me another mini pill, Noriday, but googling for experiences of it, people seem to have had just as miserable a time on it. The doctor talked about the implant and injection too but from what I can see they are just another chemical that messes with your brain. I am sick of feeling numb all the time, I miss the natural highs of a natural cycle (to think I actually used to get horny!), and I can't face a lifetime taking these pills and feeling like this. And yet I don't see what I can do as DH can't, shall we say, produce the goods using condoms... and I know he's not just saying that as we've seriously tried.

Has anyone any ideas I've not thought of or is this just life now for the next 25 years?

claraschu Mon 14-Nov-16 16:51:29

I don't understand why people don't use the cervical cap or the diaphragm any more. Cervical caps work brilliantly if used right.

I actually think it is criminal that everyone is advised to use hormonal contraception which seriously messes with hormones and has lots of side effects. Many people don't even realise that there are barrier methods available other than condoms.

yogaandwine Thu 17-Nov-16 22:07:23

Hi sniffle I feel your pain. I stopped taking the pill in August and we are just using condoms at the moment. It's not a huge issue but does kind of kill the moment sometimes!!
I'm looking into temperature based cycle planning (don't know the proper name) where you identify the days you are fertile using a basal thermometer. Then just use condoms on those days.

Another alternative I keep toying with is the copper coil, but the idea of the strings freaks me the f**k out!! Especially that DH may feel them during sex!!

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 18-Nov-16 11:19:07

Same here OP! I had terrible migraines on combi pill. Also had very frequent periods, weight gain and moodiness on mini pill. Ditto the Mirena coil.

I've had it taken out now to TTC dc2, but after that I am seriously considering sterilisation. It's less effective than the coil statistically but more effective than a diaphragm which is the other option I'm thinking about. Other than that, there's always condoms, which I've never had any issues with in the short term.

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 18-Nov-16 11:22:54

yoga, my DH claimed he could feel the strings from Mirena coil, but I'm sceptical...

Maverickismywingman Sun 20-Nov-16 19:03:27

They shouldn't be able to feel the strings of a coil.

Following this thread as I am fed up with hormonal contraception. Previously had a coil myself but had unexplained pain when orgasming confused
Considering just going with condoms TBH.

SpeckledyBanana Sun 20-Nov-16 19:07:42

This is why DH had a vasectomy. It's rubbish, isn't it?

I reckon I've had at least two bouts of depression (with ADs) because of hormonal contraception, looking back.

scaevola Thu 24-Nov-16 20:27:35

If condoms are out, then a I think the main remaining options would be a) nuava ring (still hormonal, but much lower dose required for this delivery route - and if you find you dint get in with it you can jettison it immediately, unlike implant/injection/mirena)
b) copper coil
c) diaphragm

or d) NFP, but research it properly, use combined methods and make sure (over at least 3 cycles) that you are totally confident you are potting your fertile period accurately. User error is rather higher for this than for other methods, so not for those for whom a pregnancy would be disastrous.

alleykitten Thu 24-Nov-16 20:41:11

Hormonal contraception is a misery for a big minority of women and healthcare professionals are so invested in stopping unwanted pregnancy that they'll lie through their teeth to deny it. If progesterone makes you feel like shit it'll make you feel like shit in whatever form. Avoid Mirena because they might drag their feet about removing it once it's in and the serum levels of progesterone are as high as on mini pill.

Copper coil, see if you get on with it, otherwise NFP.

GreatBritishBakeOff Thu 24-Nov-16 20:56:46

I absolutely hate hormonal contraception, I did about 17-18 years on it altogether and it made me utterly miserable. The injection was the worst for it for me.
I'm currently waiting on dh to get the courage to have a vasectomy, although he seems to be coping with abstinence pretty well! hmm
I've not tried the other barrier methods, but these or charting your temps can be accurate if you do it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now