Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception with mental illness

(4 Posts)
user1477170660 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:16:47

Hi
I'd like to ask a few mums that may be experiencing this. I currently cannot take progesterone pills as it effects my mood swings very bad a doctor recommend the combined pill had less side effects as progesterone lower but I'm not convinced. I have heavy periods so don't want a coil and I considered a diaphragm. At moment I'm using natural family planning and already have a son 1 years old but don't wish to get pregnanct, did anyone find a combined pill better ? Or even a patch ?

theconstantinoplegardener Sat 22-Oct-16 22:26:17

Have you considered the Mirena coil? It does contain hormones but with minimal effect beyond the womb for most women (and you can easily have it removed if you find it is affecting your mood). It's a very reliable form of contraception and it should make your periods lighter or even disappear altogether.

DumptonPark Sun 23-Oct-16 21:16:15

I just came across your thread as I am looking for exactly the same advice as you and am looking into the combined pill.

I just wantes to say that I know everyone is different but I would not wish the mirena coil on my worst enemy as it caused depression for me.

sniffle12 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:25:33

I have been on both pills; I'm currently on the mini pill and can say it's definitely mood altering, I range from feeling full on depressed to just feeling alright, but numb - it's rare that I get rushes of happiness or can truly say 'I feel happy'.

I had to come off the combined for other health reasons, but in terms of mood I really liked it. I felt more balanced on it than on no contraception at all and definitely than I feel now on the mini pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now