Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can illness throw off your cycle?

(20 Posts)
Poppytime Sat 15-Oct-16 23:40:39

Currently sick with horrible head cold. Period was due yesterday/today and absolutely no sign of it. Can being sick throw off your cycle, anyone any experience?

Fanjango Sat 15-Oct-16 23:48:54

Sickness, reduced diet..many things can do it. When I wasn't menopausal stress would make me skip a period too

CharminglyGawky Sun 16-Oct-16 00:04:23

Yes, though I'd be a bit surprised if a cold managed to through my cycle off!

But being run down, stressed, dramatic change in diet can all screw your cycle up a bit. I was once 11 days late when I went from being a lazy student to working 12-13 hour days and on my feet constantly... I was 21 and had met my now DH about 4 months previously... I took a lot of pregnancy tests before AF finally showed up!

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 07:34:46

Thanks - I'm hoping that's the reason!! Im usually pretty regular although have only had 4 periods since having ds (12 mo) so maybe things just settling too?

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 09:15:52

Ugh panicking a bit now! Usually there would be at least some signs by now....don't want to say anything to dh and worry him but I think he can tell something's up!

scaevola Sun 16-Oct-16 09:19:32

The is the family planning, as in contraception, topic.

What method have you been using? Because yes some can be affected by illness.

So it would be worth POAS

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 09:23:55

I know, sorry it might be the wrong place, I didn't want to put in conception or pregnancy because this wouldn't necessarily be welcome news iyswim....

I guess the reason I'm panicking is that we aren't really using any contraception at the moment apart from withdrawal (god I feel stupid just writing that). As far as I know there haven't been any 'mistakes' and we only have done it once over what could be considered the 'risky' period. In our defence we have used the withdrawal method for years previously and had no pregnancy scares, and got pregnant relatively easy both times we wanted to. But now I'm just panicking and kicking myself for not putting a more effective contraceptive plan in place...

scaevola Sun 16-Oct-16 09:35:24

That's OK!

Withdrawal can work well for some people, but it does depend on having a man who gets into the swing of things (can't think of a better way of putting that right now!) and so can be relied on. And as you've used it for years with success, it shoulds as if it was a well established habit.

I'm sorry, but I don't think a head cold is going to disrupt your cycle (tummy bug might).

Have you got a text kit in the house, or can you get to the shops?

brew and sympathy

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 10:35:19

No kit confused and out with DH and kids all day so will be hard to sneak to boots. If nothing tomorrow I will be able to buy....damn please turn up period!!! I mean I can't be can I? I'm pretty sure nothing went in, if that makes sense! But I feel a little silly and naive saying that... (despite being mid 30s with 2 kids...) oh dear.

scaevola Sun 16-Oct-16 10:39:06

Stress can hold things up a bit.

If you're not going to be able to test until tomorrow, you'll have to make a determined effort not to think about it.

But a kitten and call it Schroedinger perhaps?

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 11:19:44

Haha yup may have to do that! Trying best not to think about it. Will all be fine - I'm sure it will turn up soon and I'll just feel a bit silly confused

Poppytime Sun 16-Oct-16 16:51:49

Nada today so far....not even a hint.

I have also had wine this weekend, taken cough syrup and had an aromatherapy massage.....aargh!

CharminglyGawky Sun 16-Oct-16 23:32:54

Hmm, withdrawal isn't perfect as you know and there can be sperm in pre-cum so I really think a test is a good idea! Surely you don't need to keep this from your DP? I get not wanting to worry him but surely it would be better to just bite the bullet so you can get to a shop and get a test?

The earlier you find out the earlier either you can relax or start talking about what comes next!

Good luck!

Poppytime Mon 17-Oct-16 08:47:19

I'm on way to shops now. Still no sign. I did mention to dh last night - he seems a little worried! Ugh really don't want to test - too scared!!

scaevola Mon 17-Oct-16 08:51:46

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

BagelDog Mon 17-Oct-16 08:55:21

Illness, stress, changes in diet, radically ramping up exercise, can all throw you out. Withdrawal can be a bit hit and miss but obviously has worked well for you both so far. Hopethat it is your cycle out of whack and you get the result you want. Xx

idontlikealdi Mon 17-Oct-16 09:01:43

Hope you get the result you want op.

helenatroy Mon 17-Oct-16 09:04:19

Do a test. Low level cold is always the first symptom for me.

Poppytime Mon 17-Oct-16 09:28:05

Thanks! Got test just buying a coffee and will use the loo!

Poppytime Mon 17-Oct-16 09:39:19

Boots own is negative - phew!! And I think think period is coming. Won't count chickens yet though. Thanks for the support. I need to sort out contraception, don't want this every month! It's exciting (albeit nerve wracking) when you are actually ttc, but quite a different ball game when you aren't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now