Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil

(26 Posts)
user1471549817 Fri 19-Aug-16 13:40:25

Hi I'd like some reviews from ladies who have had the copper coil fitted, but have been in it for 6months+ , how has it been in terms of weight, mood etc as its ment to be hormone free!? X

Excusemyfrench Fri 19-Aug-16 13:53:45

Hello,

Ive had mine for 6 months now. And I had one for 2 years before I had my Dc2.
I would say the negatives are:
-Heavier periods
-More cramping during your periods
-Also -tmi but you want to know this now- there can be a smell if there is too much sperm (i.e frequent sex) I think it kind of sticks to itconfused. Ive read it isnt unusual and to avoid it my DH will sometimes withdraw.

Aside from those things, its great.

I cannot take any level of hormones whatsoever and this leaves me feeling normal, and not pregnant!

Best of luck !

OTheHugeManatee Fri 19-Aug-16 13:56:51

Slightly heavier periods and a bit uncomfortable when it goes in, but otherwise side effect free and zero maintenance. I don't get on with artificial hormones (they make me fat and mad and libido-free) and found the coil gave much better peace of mind than condoms. I had mine for several years until we started ttc. 100% recommend.

user1471549817 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:06:29

I feel slightly relieved 😅 my main concern is I'm going to gain weight as I've always had issues with weight, and. Also recovering from pnd I don't want to go back down the depression route. Sounds silly but I've read things about people being allergic to the copper? !

Yffy673 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:37:21

OP did you get the coil? How are you getting on with it?

MrsBlondie Wed 29-Mar-17 11:03:56

Bumping this again too. Ive had mine in 5 months now and wondered how long yours all took to settle?

I'm bleeding every 2 weeks for a full week. ie basically week On week Off.

Wondering if this will settle. Happy to give it to about 9 months to see. (It didn't start like this, it started bang on 28 days, with a week on period ie perfect)

isupposeitsverynice Wed 29-Mar-17 11:19:23

Mine took about a year to settle in and then my periods started to get lighter again. I actually had it out yesterday but it'd been in for about four years and my periods were pretty much normal again.

Chattycat78 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:01:16

Can I ask if it's painful getting it fitted? I'm due to Have one fitted on Friday. Can't be worse than a stretch and sweep right?!!! confused

Yffy673 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:17:51

Chattycat I had mine fitted on Thursday it was horrible I found it worst than a stretch and sweep. The doctor gave me a local anaesthetic and that in itself was really painful. It felt like she was fumbling about for ages.

Chattycat78 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:43:11

Shit really?!! Oh bugger. sad can I ask for gas and air?!!!!!

isupposeitsverynice Sat 01-Apr-17 22:20:01

It's not fun but it's over quickly and it is fantastic contraception. I have decided for me it was well worth it and miens only come out because husbands been done. I don't know if gas and air is a possibility - it's not that hideous that you won't cope without it - but probably no harm in calling ahead and asking about options

Chattycat78 Sun 02-Apr-17 07:20:22

It's better than the pill I think isn't it? That's my main motivation- I really don't want to get pregnant!

Chattycat78 Sun 02-Apr-17 07:20:39

(I mean more effective than the pill)

isupposeitsverynice Sun 02-Apr-17 09:10:38

I think so, yeah and of course the great thing is it's almost impossible to do wrong, unlike the pill. For me it's been a very positive experience I'm glad I went for it.

Glossolalia Sun 02-Apr-17 09:56:38

I went to my GP and asked for the copper coil as I didn't like the way that the hormones whilst on the pill made me feel (and the weight gain!)

My GP talked me into getting the Mirena coil instead, best decision I've made WRT contraception. I've had it in for over a year and I'm period free, no weight gain (maybe even weight loss?) and I don't feel like I've had any effect from the hormones.

user1490854461 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:31:20

I had mine fitted 4 weeks ago, and I didn't find the fitting painful or uncomfortable at all. I did have the numbing gel or whatever it is they put on and I don't know if it was that but I barely felt a thing. I bled a little for a couple of days after fitting and about a week before my first period I had some cramps. I've just had my period and it's been so light and pain free that I'm actually starting to worry that mines not been fitted correctly after reading about the majority of people having heavy painful periods!!

thethoughtfox Wed 05-Apr-17 09:34:01

Mega periods. We call it shark week in our house.

MrsBlondie Wed 05-Apr-17 09:42:48

Mine was fitted no problems. Went to the Family Planning. Done it about 2 minutes hardly any pain.

Chattycat78 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:02:01

So can I ask about the awful cramps afterwards? It's like bloody early labour! Is this right?!!!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 07-Apr-17 17:51:20

Watching with interest. Like many here, I don't think the hormonal contraceptives suit me. Something about the progesterone, I suspect.
Has anyone had it fitted post partum?

Jupitertomars Mon 10-Apr-17 20:43:27

I had mine fitted today. Was fine going in but I've had two babies and the last one was 6 months ago (the nurse commented that it's easier after kids!)

It's been about 6 hours and I'm really crampy and having some spotting.

AnnaNimmity Mon 10-Apr-17 20:51:17

I had mine fitted just before Christmas. It was fine - no weight gain (very important to me!), the first period was heavier but since then it's been fine.

No mood swings. Slightly crampy after fitting, but I still cycled to work!
I really like mine (all other hormonal contraception give me weight gain and massive, swollen boobs).

LexieSinclair Mon 10-Apr-17 20:55:07

I've had mine 5 years and had no problems whatsoever. Periods are normal (always been light) - getting it fitted wasn't much more uncomfortable than a smear.

Chattycat78 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:37:56

So....my labour like cramps turned out to mean that the coil had actually perforated my uterus!shock. I had to have surgery on Sunday night to have it removed from my abdomen!

Back to the pill for me.....sad

Jupitertomars Wed 12-Apr-17 20:54:26

Oh wow Chatty. Sorry to hear that.

How did you get the diagnosis? Hope your doing ok now.

I was a bit concerned about that as I read in the leaflet that your chance of perforation increased if your breastfeeding or less than 36 weeks postpartum which I am both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now