We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have to have the 6m blood pressure, etc, checks done when using a Diaphragm/contraceptive gel

(7 Posts)
CursedLove Mon 08-Aug-16 20:51:14

I called to refill my prescriptions for my contraceptive gel that I use with my diaphragm and was told I will not be given another prescription until I've come in for my 6 monthly check, when I asked what for she said "blood pressure, weight, ETC"

I've been using a diaphragm on/off for many years and have never had a 6 monthly check before, only when I was on the contraceptive pill did I have one, and it's been over a decade since I stopped taking that.

Is this a new thing?
I don't understand why it would be necessary as its a non hormonal, non drug form of contraceptive so I don't understand why it would so important they would refuse to refill the prescription until it was done.
I only got a new diaphragm a few months ago so it won't be for a size check, which I don't believe they do anyway.

I'm a little put out because I will need the prescription by the weekend and I'm either going to have to buy the gel online or use condoms with my partner until I can get some time off work to make an apt, which are difficult to get.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 08-Aug-16 20:54:32

I never had to have a bp check when I used a diaphragm. It's not a popular choice maybe your surgery is just mixing you in with the pill takers because they don't normally do diaphragms.

CursedLove Mon 08-Aug-16 21:04:40

That is what I though but the dispensary receptionist/assistant seemed pretty insistent that it was non negotiable and I would not get another prescription until I came in for one, she then refused to book me an apt and said I would have to ring up at 8 am on the day I wanted one to "try" to book one.

If there is a chance I don't have to have one I'd like to know, which is why I started the thread, as taking time off work and getting an apt is going to be a pain and if I don't actually have to do it id rather not, but Google failed to offer any clear answers.

fairbalance Fri 12-Aug-16 15:29:54

I suspect they are using it as an excuse to their QOF figures up to get money. I would ask them for the clinical evidence as to why you need it done. Also if it is for QOF then they have not obtained your informed consent. You could point that out to them! grin

fairbalance Fri 12-Aug-16 15:31:24

You can buy the contraceptive gel over the counter at the Pharmacy without a prescription.

CursedLove Mon 22-Aug-16 14:52:30

You can buy it over the counter, but I would have to travel for 50 minutes on the bus (costing £9.60) then pay £15 for the gel (the nearest pharmacy that stocks it is 20 miles away).
We use a tube in less than two weeks so it would become a really expensive method of contraception very quickly, honestly I'm not sure if I could even continue to use it if I had to pay nearly £50 a month to use it.

I definitely need to refil the prescription this week as I'm completely out now (I have an emergency tube in the back of my bathroom cabinet but that's empty now so I really do have none left now.

I'm hoping I can just explain to them and they will let it be refilled.

Sunshineonacloudyday Sat 27-Aug-16 00:27:41

Do they have a way of ordering prescriptions online it will go straight to the doctor and I doubt he/she would want you in there wasting there time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now