Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Test Results From Scans! :(

(21 Posts)
SoUnsureMaybe Mon 08-Aug-16 19:39:03

Hi all, yesterday I had an internal and external scan due to having bad pain on my left side since my coil was put in in November. Today my gp has called and asked me to make an appointment to see him to discuss the results. The earliest they can get me in is next Monday.
My question is what kind of things could have been found? I'm obviously not asking for anyone to tell me what will be said lol, but I'm just asking for the kind of things that can be picked up on these sort of scans. I'm worried as I think it's so quick to call me about it.
My nan said "what if you're pregnant?!" (They didn't do either scan for long tbh) and this would be a MASSIVE shock as I have 2 under 2 as it is. sad. So surely it can't be that.
Any ideas? TIA x

SoUnsureMaybe Mon 08-Aug-16 20:37:11

??

Castasunder Tue 09-Aug-16 18:01:55

Was it an ultrasound scan? Transvaginal?

SoUnsureMaybe Tue 09-Aug-16 20:01:42

I had both. Ultrasound first and transvaginal after. XxX

Castasunder Tue 09-Aug-16 23:03:07

So sorry you're as stressed. It's possible you're pregnant- but then it could be that they want to talk about your coil? Perhaps it's slipped out of place? I've been sent for a scan for this very reason once. I know from experience that the staff taking the ultrasound avoid talking to you about what they can see- they prefer to leave it up to your GP. I know it's easier said than done but try to relax if yo can brewcake

Haggisfish Tue 09-Aug-16 23:04:17

Could be a cyst on ovary? If it was anything nasty they would have referred you to hospital I think.

SoUnsureMaybe Tue 09-Aug-16 23:27:15

Thank you for your replies. It's helped ease my mind a bit. I would be floored if it was that I'm pregnant, but it wouldn't be devastating to me, a blessing tbh smile.
I would assume it would be cysts, although I would think the scans would go on for longer which is why I'm confused.
I hate the wait more than anything tbh, but as you say if it was urgent they would have sent me to the hospital presumably.
Monday is still ages away sad xxx

Haggisfish Tue 09-Aug-16 23:42:30

You could always phone gp and ask them to give you a quick call back for reassurance that it's nothing nasty. I did that once and gp was lovely. Saved me having to go in for appt too!

AppleMagic Tue 09-Aug-16 23:46:52

I'm pretty sure they would have told you immediately if they thought you were pregnant because of the implications of drinking/medication etc.

SoUnsureMaybe Wed 10-Aug-16 08:35:15

I thought that too, but I looked up if they would tell you, and by law they can't. But tbh I don't drink anyway and not on any medication apart from my coil. XxX

Viviene Wed 10-Aug-16 10:05:13

Surely the GP would have called you if you were pregnant?
I don't think it's anything like that but can you call your surgery and ask for a phone appointment just to calm your nerves?
I had a scan once and was referred to a gynecologist - the wait was unnerving even though I knew what it could be. In the end turned out the scan technician misinterpreted what she was seeing on the monitor.

SoUnsureMaybe Wed 10-Aug-16 21:58:11

I have no idea if they would. I'll find out soon enough. It's annoying lol.
I had these tests when I was 17 and they said PCOS but when they did a laparoscopy it wasn't that at all, and I was told I was fine. No problems since then.
So god knows xxx

Floggingmolly Wed 10-Aug-16 22:03:33

By law they can't tell you??? What on earth does that mean?

SoUnsureMaybe Wed 10-Aug-16 22:40:52

By law a technician can't tell you, they're trained to scan and to know what they're looking at but the results have to come from a doctor. So I've read anyway xxx

AppleMagic Thu 11-Aug-16 01:49:08

I think if the technician saw you had an unexpected pregnancy they would call the oncall dr in to tell you immediately.

Viviene Fri 12-Aug-16 14:54:52

Sorry, only just realized - do a pregnancy test and you'll l ow whether you're pregnant or not :-)
Duh!

Dizzywhore Sun 14-Aug-16 21:51:37

It could be your coil has become imbedded somewhere causing you pain. They will have to remove it surgically.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

SoUnsureMaybe Mon 15-Aug-16 16:26:12

Hi everyone. Thank you all for replying and helping me.
As it turned out I have cysts on my right ovary (must have had some on left at some point hence the pain) but they said to keep an eye on the pain and if it continues to go back and they'll explore some more. They also said my coil is still in the right place so no worries there. And everything else seems fine.
So no babies and no nasties. Feel a lot better now, was really worried. Thank you all again and sorry for my dramatics. XxX

Haggisfish Mon 15-Aug-16 16:45:17

I'm glad it was nothing serious. I empathise entirely with your worries!

Viviene Wed 17-Aug-16 10:51:27

FFS tory could've have said that in a phone consult and not make you wait a week for 'the news'.
Glad all is ok!

SoUnsureMaybe Wed 17-Aug-16 15:30:22

I know, was a bit annoyed that he thought it was worth a "we need to discuss your results" phone call. They worry you for nothing. It's stupid and a waste of time. XxX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now