Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil and my first heavy period. Please tell me it won't always be like this!

(20 Posts)
theborrower Sat 16-Jul-16 21:52:40

I had a copper coil fitted just over a fortnight ago. I have, over the years, been on the pill, mini pill, and the implant, but I had my (second) implant removed several months ago because I think it was affecting my mood and libido. Of course, I can't be certain because Life could have been affecting these things too, but my doctor and I discussed it and we thought it was best for me to try out non hormonal contraception. So, here we are.

I had 3 days bleeding after having it fitted, nothing too major though, and then spotting, just a bit of blood when I wiped really.

I now have my period, I think it's day three. I'm not entirely sure because several days ago the spotting got a bit heavier, but I was bleeding all day come Thursday. Yesterday I was certain it was my period because it was constant and heavier.

Anyway, today it's heavy. I know they warned me about this, but it bloody is. I had leaked on to my jammies last night, and I have changed my pad countless times today, I've barely left the house, and just sitting here I can feel it flowing. It reminds me of post childbirth bleeding. I think I've changed pads every 2 hours at least.

It's not painful, surprisingly, just heavy. But I can now see why people with heavy periods don't go to work some days...

I tried a mooncup on my last normal period, and I thought it was great, so I'm definitely going to be trying that next time (not using at the moment because I think it's not recommended for your first one on the coil?)

so, tell me - will it really settle down in a few months or is Indicative of how my periods are going to be?? I've heard lots of mixed things, tell me your story...

EarthboundMisfit Sat 16-Jul-16 21:55:22

Mine didn't ever settle. I had various issues with it and had it removed after a year. That said, I don't get on with the Pill either, I'm just an awkward bugger.

Needmyowndesertisland Sat 16-Jul-16 21:59:15

Mine got better. After 10 months first time round. 3 months in this time round, this one was only 10 days this time. By 10 months I expect my periods to be back to 5 days, normal flow. I expect cramps to be slightly more painful than without it, but that's the trade off.

ElephantMug Sat 16-Jul-16 22:01:44

Mine was horrendous, sorry. Even heavier than you're describing, for months. I had to use a maxi pad and the heaviest tampons you can get, and still leaked all over myself after 2 hours, day and night. Got it taken out in the end.

Bungathebrave Sat 16-Jul-16 22:08:58

I'm afraid so! The periods are horrendous
On occasion I would wear two night time pads and an ultra tampon! After 10 months It fell out!

theborrower Sat 16-Jul-16 22:09:29

Elephantmug - how long did you have it in before you got it removed?

A colleague of mine said to be prepared to stick it out for a year, as this was how long it took hers to settle - !! - but she felt it was worth it in the end, but she also said a friend of hers got it removed after 6 months because she couldn't put up with it.

I do think I notice the difference in myself having been contraceptive- hormone free for a few months now, so I feel I need to give it a good shot.

SlipperyJack Sat 16-Jul-16 22:09:53

Mine caused problems, sadly. I had it removed after 18 months - though it was due to pain rather than heaviness. I now have the Mirena and it's flipping marvellous.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 16-Jul-16 22:13:50

Mine was awful too sorry, lasted 4 months and got a water infection and heavy bleeding every month. Wanted Mirena but was told that it was expensive so to try this first. Put me off altogether.

EarthboundMisfit Sat 16-Jul-16 22:19:22

I had nausea and dizziness with every period, my vulva would often be red raw and vaginal discharge used to bleach the colour out of my underwear.

bonzo77 Sat 16-Jul-16 22:21:09

I'm about 6 months in. First period just as you describe: total carnage with big leaks and a lot of pain. Has improved massively. I'm using a Mooncup, and hadn't really before so I can't really say how heavy the bleeding is compared with BC (before coil). A bit TMI, but my discharge throughout the month is heavier / darker too. Dr has swabbed and there's no infection.

thecapitalsunited Sat 16-Jul-16 22:43:59

My periods have always been heavy but the coil made 2 hourly mooncup changes normal for about 6 months. I flooded badly for that first 6 months too which I hadn't had before and haven't had since. This meant that I had to change my pad/empty my mooncup every time I sneezed. They hurt something terrible the first six months too.

My doctor advised that I didn't use a mooncup for the first six weeks. I think the chances of the coil coming out in the first six weeks are higher than normal so it's best to be careful.

ElephantMug Sun 17-Jul-16 19:50:59

I had it for about a year but it just didn't get any better. I've got a Mirena now. I don't normally get on with hormones but it's OK apart from giving me a spotty back. I'm hardly bleeding at all.

theborrower Sun 17-Jul-16 20:17:47

Hello again, thanks for the replies.

I'm pleased to report that today has been much more manageable. I went to bed with a mega night pad on, and slept on a towel, because I was worried that it would be a right mess in the morning, but it was contained, and flow has reduced to a more normal amount today. I will see how the next few days go!

I want to go back to trying a mooncup next time because I hate the sensation of flow. But I'm always going to make sure I've got plenty pads on me, I do not want caught out! shock

Rosie29 Sun 17-Jul-16 20:21:32

I only managed six months with mine, it never settled down and hugely curbed all aspects of my life. Have the Mirena now, it's great.

theborrower Sun 14-Aug-16 17:18:17

update
I'm on day 4 of my second period while having a coil. It's heavy BUT I've been using a mooncup which is absolutely brilliant! I've been using it since day 1, and have been emptying it fairly regularly after reading the comments above (on day two I'd have a half to two thirds full cup after about 2-3 hours). On the first night I wore a super pad too, just in case it leaked, which it did, but that's been the only time. I'm also pleased to say that there's been no pain, on,y feeling a bit crampy the two days previous.

I don't think I can recommend a mooncup enough, especially if you have heavy periods! It's like almost forgetting I'm on a period,, it's much better than tampons or bloody towels (pun fully intended).

user1471549817 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:18:55

Hi ladies I'm due to have this fitted in the next two weeks, does this coil cause mood swings and weight gain x

theborrower Sat 20-Aug-16 20:29:48

Hi, one of the reasons I switched to the copper coil is because it is hormone free, and I had mood swings on other (hormonal) contraception. As for weight gain, I shouldn't imagine so, unless previous contraception has suppressed your appetite.

Robinkitty Sat 20-Aug-16 20:34:03

My periods were terrible and I was spotting constantly.
Had it out after 3 years to ttc. My iron levels actually went up when I was pregnant which is unusual, I think it's because I wasn't bleeding so heavily.

user1471549817 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:00:23

Do you recommend if my periods are too heavy to maybe take an iron supliment? Ive had three children I'm really nervous about insertion pain, how was that for you ladies?

MrsMargeSimpson Sat 20-Aug-16 21:05:47

It never got lighter for me, however, the increased flow is one of the benefits to me because my normal periods are extremely light and it makes using any San pro, but particularly tampons which I prefer, a real ballache to use without thrush/discomfort. I would say to give 6 months then reconsider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now