Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4 years into coil and now pain??

(5 Posts)
maiii Tue 24-May-16 18:28:48

Heyyy guyyyyys

I had the mirena coil fitted almost 4 years ago and apart from having contractions (yeah I know) for a couple of weeks after having it inserted and the odd spotting every few months I have been fine.

I spotted last week and it was a bit mucusy (tmi blush) and since I have had awful period pains.

Basically, I know you're not all doctors, but wtf do you think is going on??

confusedconfusedconfused

doodles92 Tue 24-May-16 18:50:18

Awh it's horrible! I had a similar thing. I have had my IUD 4 years and I've had a few unbearable months with heavy and painful periods. I think it's normal smile

ChangedDays Tue 24-May-16 18:52:55

I've never had the pain but my gp did scare the shit out of me by going on at great length about ectopic pregnancy risks. Is it possible you could be pregnant? If so, you need to see your gp asap

maiii Tue 24-May-16 19:03:45

I'd never even thought about pregnancy. I'd had been taking some medication which caused my prolactin levels to sky rocket and I started lactating so I was being made to take pregnancy test after pregnancy test for ages but I haven't taken one for about a month now. Is it worth doing a home test or is it unlikely to show?

Thanks for your replies smile

ChangedDays Tue 24-May-16 19:39:15

My gp said it would show on a test. She honestly went on for most of the appt about it, to take a test if ever showed symptoms & if positive see GP asap.
Something along the lines of only tiny % chance coil would fail but if it does then there's a 50% chance that pregnancy would be ectopic.

I'm sure your not but it would be good to rule it out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now