Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

nexplanon?!

(8 Posts)
user1460573887 Tue 19-Apr-16 17:59:38

Hi was just wondering what people's experiences are with nexplanon?? Can't decide wether to get it or not?!confused

butteredmuffin Tue 19-Apr-16 23:20:13

I think it's one of those things that people either love or hate. If it works well for you, it's brilliant. I'm about to get my third implant out and this time I'm not having it replaced, but I've had one in continuously for almost 9 years and I've found them to be great. I know some other people have had side effects, but you don't know whether you will or not until you try. They can be removed really easily. As far as I can make out, the biggest obstacle to having it removed could be your doctor wanting you to persist with it a bit longer because they're quite expensive, but they can't force you to keep the thing in if you're adamant you want it out. From a contraceptive point of view, you'd struggle to find anything more effective.

user1460573887 Wed 20-Apr-16 07:44:57

Thanks for your reply at the mo I'm so torn with what to do but like you said if I don't try I won't know!! Most of my research has had bad feedback off it so nice to hear a positive story lol smile

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 20-Apr-16 07:49:55

I've had 2 nexplanon implants since I was 16.
I think they are great. I didn't have any periods or side effects whilst on the first one (age 16-19). I had it removed a week after my wedding, and got a positive pregnancy test 5 weeks later!
The second one I had put in after my DD was born, and I had a bit of irregular bleeding for a few month, but then went back to having no periods. I had that one removed on 22nd January this year, and got a positive pregnancy test on 26th February.
The nurse who removed mine said that some peoples fertility returns very quickly (mine obviously did!) and some people it takes a little longer.
The process of having it inserted is absolutely fine - tiny stab from the local anaesthetic is all I felt.
The removal was the same the first time round, but the second removal was a bit more difficult and took longer.
I will definitely have an implant again after this baby is born smile

user1460573887 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:09:40

Aw thanks for that defo making me sway more towards having it done now I've heard some positive stories!! Not planning on any more children now have a 5 year old girl and an 8 month old boy so I'm happy with 1 of each!! Think I'll be making the trip to see the nurse soon!! Thanks ladies smile

ClutterofStarlings Wed 20-Apr-16 09:13:19

I loved mine. The only thing I had was an almost unbearable itch for about a week about a week after it went in. Proper rip your own arm off itch, and you can't scratch because it's sore. But then that went away and it was fine.

butteredmuffin Wed 20-Apr-16 12:57:49

I would go for it. If it works for you then you will love it. If it doesn't, just ask your doctor to take it out.

user1460573887 Wed 20-Apr-16 13:45:15

Thanks ladies think I'm guna go for it can't stand the mood kill of condoms and always a bit worried about the pull out method lol wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now