Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Injection and irregular periods

(4 Posts)
Myhairisturninggrey Tue 08-Mar-16 10:14:32

Dd17 thinking of starting injection as her form of birth control as well as condoms. However, her periods are quite irregular. She has only been keeping track of them since last summer when she had a pregnancy scare but they are all over the place. She's currently two weeks late and we've done a test and its negative but she was a week late last time as well. In view of this, would injections be suitable? Would she be able to start without a period?

dementedpixie Tue 08-Mar-16 12:32:41

I wouldn't choose the injection especially for that age group. It can also make periods irregular and can thin your bones. I bled all the time and put on loads of weight. I gave up after my second one.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception-guide/pages/contraceptive-injection.aspx

Mybrainisconfused Tue 08-Mar-16 15:34:16

The thing is she would be no good with the pill, she'd forget to take it, she tried patches and forgot where she was with them, so needs something she doesn't have to think about.

dementedpixie Tue 08-Mar-16 15:44:25

Implant or coil? At least both can be removed if required. You have to wait for the injection to wear off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now