Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period gone awol with copper coil

(15 Posts)
Wishtherewasawayout Sat 02-Jan-16 10:15:04

I've had the cc since the summer and my periods have been like clockwork 24 days as always. I'm now 10 days late I've taken a test which is negative and dr was very Blasie just say saying to wait a few more days not even bothering to check it when I've said I can find the threads! Has anyone else had a very late or missed period on the copper coil and what was the outcome? The not knowing is scary

MooseAndSquirrel Sat 02-Jan-16 10:41:24

Had the cc in for a yr...then went to docs (for something else) mentioned whilst there, my period was a wk late, had a neg tests, could still feel threads - told not to worry as the cc is sooo effective.
I no longer have the cc but have DD2 instead wink its surprising how often it can fail so test again in a few days if your period still hasn't come

Wishtherewasawayout Sun 03-Jan-16 00:24:05

Thanks moose I had a couple of spots this afternoon and then nothing. Still not sure if AF is starting or not. How long before you got a positive test?

MooseAndSquirrel Sun 03-Jan-16 08:33:27

I didn't test again until just over 2wks late so 15-17 days (left it as convinced there wasn't a chance haha)

Wishtherewasawayout Sun 03-Jan-16 18:11:32

Well the spotting has still not turned into AF so I really think I have been caught out shock. I would usually have have a substantial flow within in few hours of starting. If it's still a no show tomorrow I will have to retest.

spankingnewme Tue 05-Jan-16 14:36:12

That's scary the failure rates! Keep us posted how u get on

Wishtherewasawayout Tue 05-Jan-16 21:57:12

I've been spotting for 4 days now and another negative test. It doesn't feel like normal af so I really don't know what's happening this month. I think I might consider having coil removed I now hear so many horror stories im considering abstinence as dp is acting like a dick anyhow, it's amazing how a scare can bring out people's true colours as clearly this is the only 100% trusted method of contraception hmm

spankingnewme Wed 06-Jan-16 15:40:17

Haha don't blame u if he's being a dick anyway! I'm spotting too now instead of an actual period, I think maybe with coil u just need forget what your normal cycle was like as it does seem to interfere with it. I would thought if u were pregnant ud have a positive result, especially on the cheap tests I found them much better than clearblue etc....even if it's the faintest of lines on one of them you'd know then...

Wishtherewasawayout Thu 07-Jan-16 20:24:30

The spotting turned into a scene of a massacre sad damn there is no happy balance

Spandau22 Wed 13-Jan-16 17:03:47

Logged on to start exactly this discussion! I have been on the copper coil for 18 months with pretty regular periods. Mine is now 2 weeks late - 3 pregnancy tests have shown negative. My only thought is the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy which apparently might not show up on a urine test. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Wishtherewasawayout Wed 13-Jan-16 23:00:29

Spandau from all the threads I've read I've googled for hours* it's seems that even an eptopic will still Give a positive preg test. Like me it's possible that AF is just playing tricks with you, sorry. If in doubt check with gp. I'm going to get my coil out tomorrow I can't wait for the cramps and excessive discharge blush sorry tmi to end.

Spandau22 Thu 14-Jan-16 11:43:10

Thanks wishtherewasawayout. Appreciate your research very much😉. Feel a bit anxious about getting pregnant and DH is stressed about work so can't really discuss with him. Have 2dc, new job etc!! Seeing GP this morning. Also considering changing to mirena coil. Periods on CC are indeed something to behold.

Spandau22 Thu 14-Jan-16 11:47:49

Sorry - just realised I forgot to send! Been to docs. You're right wishtherewasawayout home test would pick up ectopic. Doc said could just be randomly not realising an egg this month (eek that's way off my control freekery scale.) Anyway she did a blood test to confirm.

Wishtherewasawayout Thu 14-Jan-16 12:00:50

Spandau glad you've been to the docs for confirmation. I was going to say for piece of mind but like you I'm complete control freak and cannot be dealing with eggs deciding to have a cheeky day off and stressing me out!! So gps comment gives no piece of mind at all.

Spandau22 Sat 16-Jan-16 11:28:39

Wishtherewasawayout - blood test showed normal (negative). Sort of sigh of relief! Hope you find a solution (if you do, let me know 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now