Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nexplanon experiences... can anyone relate

(5 Posts)
Worriedbf92 Wed 30-Dec-15 12:09:30

Hi there, guy here hope thats ok lol. my girlfriend has had this implant for just over a year now and things have never really been too good with it. She has had a low sex drive pretty much the entire time she has had it and spots on her face/chest. Nothing major but enough for her to notice. Secondly I believe it has made her become stressed more easily and even mildly depressed. She recently stepped up to a managers role in her part time job which tied in with her starting placement for university so she was essentially working 9til10 monday to Friday. Since about 3/4s of the way through placement I noticed she has started to go out drinking more and more and this has taken priority over our relationship. Having read through posts on here I have noticed over time, especially in younger people, this implant can cause depression like symptoms and I know that often makes people behave wrecklessly. We have only had sex once in around 3 or 4 weeks and I barely see her at all. We talked on Sunday and she said that although she sees our future together and wants us to marry and have kids that she doesn't feel like a relationship is what she needs at the present moment because she keeps hurting me/letting me down. Having read up on this implant and the side affects related I believe this could have a big part to play. Am I wrong to think this and simply burying my head in the sand?

StrictlyMumDancing Wed 30-Dec-15 12:40:59

I think if you are genuinely concerned the implant is causing this for her then perhaps you should, very gently, mention it to her. More in a concerned for her way than you or your relationship way.

Is there a reason she's using the implant specifically. I have one for medical rather than contraceptive purposes and it has caused me issues that until recently outweighed the initial problems!

Worriedbf92 Wed 30-Dec-15 13:26:43

OK thank you. I'm hoping to meet this week for a chat so I'll try and pop it into the conversation then.

TheImprobableGirl Wed 30-Dec-15 13:34:16

I have had nexplanon twice now and both times suffered from extreme loss of sex drive, grumpier mood etc. Pretty much everything you are describing! I came off it to conceive and felt better within weeks, but didn't obviously connect it with the nexplanon when it was in! Now on a lesser progesterone pill called marvelon which is lovely and hasn't caused me any problems at all (yet!) it is good for skin too smile

Worriedbf92 Wed 30-Dec-15 13:47:33

OK! Great to hear you're doing better now, I'll definitely try and raise the matter as I've read so many reviews of people feeling similair on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now