Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Depo injection....experiences

(8 Posts)
Greengrass1982 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:08:49

I have been refused the combination pill due to migranes with aura. I have tried the mirena coil but felt like I had constant PMT had it removed.

The nurse suggested the next best long term contraception would be the depo injection. I am concerned about the possible weight gain side effect. Has anyone got a views on the contraceptive injection ? Thanks

y0rkier0se Mon 23-Nov-15 00:03:40

I would suggest avoiding it if possible. I had lots of weight gain (though poor diet definitely contributed) but the worse side effect was the mood swings. I think it caused depression - I was really low and spent lots of time crying. Came off it last September and periods are just getting back to normal and I will never ever go back on it. I truly felt so low and I'm positive it was the depo. Many friends have shared this experience too.

dementedpixie Thu 26-Nov-15 19:58:40

I had constant bleeding and a huge weight gain. It also thins your bones and can take time to wear off if you want to have another baby (can take up to a year or more for fertility to return)

dementedpixie Thu 26-Nov-15 19:59:11

Have you tried the mini pill?

LillyBugg Thu 26-Nov-15 19:59:46

I had constant bleeding. But no weight gain and no impact on moods. I stopped having it because of the osteoporosis risk.

Greengrass1982 Fri 27-Nov-15 15:33:53

I took cerelle and my moods were fine but I didn't stop bleeding wondering if I should have given it longer to settle. Tried mirena coil didn't get on with that terrible moods ..! I'm going back to the clinic Tuesday may ask for a different brand of mini pill

sksk Sun 29-Nov-15 12:22:40

I was unable to get used to mirena. I didn't give it the recommended 6 months but I had constant bleeding and I got an infection after it was placed. And the placement was a horribly painful experience. I tried the combined pill while on mirena to try and allow it to settle but I still bled so I had it out. Haven't found a pill that suits me yet, and am therefore reluctant to have a depo injection that I'd just be stuck with. I don't know what else to try. Before going for depo you could ask to try a mini pill to see if you can tolerate the progesterone.

WimpyArseWanks Sun 29-Nov-15 12:25:41

I was fine with it, gained a little bit of weight but then stayed around the same size, was on it for 8 years and it took 1 year after stopping for my period to return to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now