Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

copper coil, breastfeeding and periods...

(6 Posts)
boobubsmum Sat 24-Oct-15 12:15:40

So this is probably a strange one, I had a baby in March and a copper coil fitted in June, I am still breastfeeding, but she's on solids... When can I expect to see a period again?! I feel lost without them...

bbrisotto Fri 04-Dec-15 08:38:20

Hi, I had a baby in May and haven't sorted out contraception yet (apart from condoms). I am breastfeeding too with a baby just starting out on solids. I have had no period yet which is lovely.

I am thinking of the copper coil so I have no artifical hormones but keep on putting it off as I read the horror stories so don't know what to do.

I would like to know whether i would still bleed or have a period as they have now not restarted yet.

Sorry to jump on your thread but I thought as you had asked a similar question it would help.

BeenAndGone Fri 04-Dec-15 08:41:58

I breastfed for 2.5 years, I fed twice a day from a year and my periods returned a few months later. It was bliss.

Before DC's I had the copper coil for years and it was great for a long time. Heavier periods initially but they got lighter after six months. High recommend it if you can't do hormones.

Ifiwasabadger Fri 04-Dec-15 08:46:18

I have a copper coil,and I love it! I had it put back in when DD was 8 weeks old (my periods came back after 5 weeks of birth). Won't it be the breastfeeding that's delaying the periods?

Anyone thinking of a copper coil, mine has been fantastic. On my second one now.

bbrisotto Fri 04-Dec-15 17:09:04

Yes i think the breastfeeding is delaying the periods but i was wondering if the coil would restart them. I'm quite happy without them at the moment!

It's good to hear some positive stories i guess you normally only hear the bad ones. Would you say it was very painful to have it fitted?

Ifiwasabadger Sat 05-Dec-15 10:27:11

I read the entire internet before having my coil fitted. Was absolutely terrified of the pain.

Honest to god, it was nothing. I would say two seconds of a slight 'ow' and then done.

My gynae recommends having them put in on day 4 of your period as your cervix is slightly open then. I've had it done twice now and honesty, I have had worse headaches!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now