Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trying to conceive but have pcos

(11 Posts)
Lizzy777 Sat 25-Jul-15 15:20:25

Hi All, I have just had an ultrasound as advised by my GP as I have had absent periods and up to yet have only had 3 this year. The sonographer confirmed that my ovaries were enlarged and were polycystic, she won't be able to do the report until next week so I've got to wait around 10 days before speaking to my GP. I am just wanting a bit of advice as me and my husband have been trying to conceive since November and I'm just wanting to hear from other people in similar situations have handled things. Thanks in advance x x x

merlehaggard Sun 26-Jul-15 13:36:06

Hi, I have PCOS and have 3 children. I never had periods until I reached 40 and then they suddenly started! I had DD1 (now 21) with chlomid and fell pregnant on the first month, DD2 (now 13) was conceived 8 years later and various didn't fertility treatments (but not IVF) and then DS3 (nearly 5) was conceived naturally when I suddenly started my periods.

Lizzy777 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:49:31

Thanks merlehaggard this is encouraging to hear, I'm not totally freaked out as you always hear of people with PCOS getting pregnant. Just wanting to get to the doctors now to get some details and a way forward smile

merlehaggard Mon 27-Jul-15 20:10:25

I know lots of people with PCOS but none without children. I was always told by my consultant that I would just need help to have children, but never that I wouldn't be able to. It'll happen! Good luck. x

hoppingmad Mon 27-Jul-15 20:15:41

I have pcos and was told it would take a long time to conceive but it didn't and I had twins. I know a few people who also have pcos and all have children, some did take longer but none more than about a year

ILoveMyMonkey Mon 27-Jul-15 20:19:40

I have pcos and had my son naturally after trying for 2 years. Been trying for number 2 now for 23 months - hoping this will be the month. Try a low GI diet, they can help kick start ovulation in pcos sufferers.

Lizzy777 Fri 01-Jan-16 11:03:45

Hi all, we have now had more tests and it has been confirmed that I am not ovulating but all other tests have come back fine so all in all pretty positive news. We are waiting for a referral to the fertility clinic at the hospital now and hoping that some tablets to get me ovulating the will do the trick.

I am also looking into acupuncture as an avenue to go down has anyone else tried this and had any success.

Thank you for your advice and comments. smile

1gorgeousson Fri 01-Jan-16 11:15:29

I have pcos too. I found the gym and exercising kick started natural ovulation. if you're not a regular gym go-er it might be worth a try.

Lizzy777 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:02:03

Thanks 1gprgeousson, I started going to the gym in April and my periods regulated and I have also now been to the hospital and been given Clomid, I did my first round last month and ovulated well according to my blood tests so I'm hoping these should get things moving. I have also lost around 1st and still going which I believe has really helped 😊

scaevola Sat 18-Jun-16 15:07:55

This is the contraception topic.

you might like to ask MNHQ to move your thread to the Conception topic

kimball Sat 18-Jun-16 15:13:45

Good luck to you. I also have PCOS and do not ovulate on my own. With Puregon and IUI I was able to conceive. Currently pregnant with no.2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now