Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cool could not be fitted- anyone else had this happen?

(10 Posts)
absterfabster21 Fri 24-Jul-15 10:10:13

I'm 4 months post partum and had a fitting for a coil today. The doctor said she had to use a really slim 'sound' to measure first (unusual) then had 3 attempts at inserting the coil and gave up. She said my canal had a bend in it and she couldn't get the coil round it. Anyone else had this problem? She said there is usually no problems especially after having a baby even though he was emergency section as I only got to 8cm. Now I'm worried maybe this bend was also the reason I was unable to dilate fully? Baby was also back to back though. confused

Please share your similar experiences.

absterfabster21 Fri 24-Jul-15 10:14:53

Doh! Obviously it's meant to read 'coil' in the title and not 'cool'...

nenehooo Fri 24-Jul-15 10:19:32

Yes I had this! GP tried to fit it first, but couldn't for the same reason as you. Although I knew there was something funny going on as they'd discovered it during pregnancy. Think mine's tilted towards the back so hard to get to?! Anyway, I got referred to the gynae clinic, and the Dr there fitted it no problem.

absterfabster21 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:29:05

Thanks nene, think I'll give it a go at the family planning clinic then. Fingers crossed! Quite an ordeal to go through if it doesn't work again...

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jul-15 19:32:40

Yes I had a failed coil insertion after two vaginal deliveries so it's not necessarily indicative of anything wrong.
The wide ife said she'd have to get the doctor to do it. I was a bit nervous as I presumed a mw would be better than a doctor. But apparently the doctor also had longer fingers and she did it first time.

StealthPolarBear Fri 24-Jul-15 19:33:24

Yes sorry it wasn't pleasant the first time when it failed and going home without it I was in tears

onthering Fri 24-Jul-15 19:35:04

Happened to me too, but because my cervix was too tight rather than bent smile

Had it done at the hospital by gynae, they did it pretty easily with added bonus of local anaesthetic, although I'm not sure how much difference it actually made!

Minime85 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:42:58

I had 2 emergency sections and 2 failed attempts resulting in nasty bleeding. I was told was because hadn't fully dilated ever. I too got to 8cm and 7Cm respectively. Went for implant in end but that wasn't great to be honest.

absterfabster21 Sun 26-Jul-15 08:54:11

Thanks everyone. smile

Starbelle Sun 09-Aug-15 09:50:31

I know this thread is a bit out of date now but thought I'd add my bit too!

I had a failed insertion because my cervix is tiny but also I was clamping it shut! But the second time round it was successful because the FPC doctor used an injection in my cervix (honestly not as painful as it sounds) which relaxed the muscles. Even if your cervix has a tilt this should mean it's easier to insert the coil. Best of luck with yours - how did it go?

Star.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now