Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nuva ring

(15 Posts)
sksk Wed 08-Jul-15 18:32:27

I'm going to ask at my surgery about this as everything else I've tried pill wise or more a has caused me problems. Has anyone experienced problems due to their Nuva ring or has anyone had a great experience with it?

sksk Fri 10-Jul-15 20:34:07

Anyone??

LornaGoon Sat 11-Jul-15 20:15:35

Is this thread still alive?

Sorry, The ring didn't work for me. Gave me terrible insomnia and anxiety. Only lasted 2 months on it.

sksk Sat 11-Jul-15 22:29:58

Ah, that's not good! Had you had problems with the pill also?

badg3r Sat 11-Jul-15 23:20:33

I liked it although it almost fell out a couple of times (a bit fiddly to get in right at first!) and I got recurring bladder infections, although I am prone to them anyway.

It's worth a shot, a lot less hassle than the pill and I didn't have any mood swings etc.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sat 11-Jul-15 23:23:30

I used it right to the letter, I got pregnant! I came off the mini pill to use it as I thought it would mean I could take my mind off it for weeks at a time...

sksk Sun 12-Jul-15 13:00:42

I suppose nothing is perfect. I've found it very difficult to tolerate anything but dianette which is no longer licensed for contraception and have tried everything else! This is probably my last option to try and see how it works.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sun 12-Jul-15 15:15:21

I'm not allowed Dianette because of migranes with aura. I don't tolerate hormones well in any form and had a copper coil fitted a couple of weeks ago, very happy with it so far and don't need to think about contraception for another 10 years which is fabulous. Also feel much less irritable all the time and have lost weight!

sksk Sun 12-Jul-15 19:35:58

That would be my absolute last resort, though I'm not keen as I found fitting of the Mirena was horrendous. Plus there is the prospect of heavier and more painful periods that puts me off. Have you had issues in this respect?

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sun 12-Jul-15 22:59:50

The fitting was reasonably painful and my blood pressure dropped, felt like shock and I had to stick around in the clinic for a while, it was awful after for a few hours then mild cramps and it has been no bother at all since.

I was actually gushing blood when I got it fitted due to the pill (makes me bleed) it stopped as soon as I had it fitted, spotted a bit a couple of days later and haven't had any problems since. I love it, it was the last resort but I wish I had gotten it first.

I had a mirena and it was awful.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Sun 12-Jul-15 23:00:19

But the actual fitting was over in about a minute.

sksk Mon 13-Jul-15 20:02:48

Well I might have to reconsider that as an option. How long would you have to have it in before having it removed? I lasted just over two months with mirena but I got sick of the daily bleeding (not irregular bleeding). And the family planning clinic doctor made me seem unreasonable for not giving it (or the other pills) a longer chance. I had to ask her how reasonable constant bleeding or low mood was reasonable to tolerate!

SchroSawMargeryDaw Mon 13-Jul-15 22:07:32

Not long I don't think, I was convinced to keep both the mirena and implant in for longer than I wanted but it was because they are expensive apparently,I don't think there is such a problem with the copper coil. I ended up removing the mirena myself.
I've actually had a copper coil before and removed it myself (not any fault of the coil, it was fab, it's a long story) I bled a lot with the mirena too and bled every day for 6 months with the implant, at that time they just gave me more hormones to stop the bleeding. hmm

sksk Tue 14-Jul-15 08:37:56

They tried that too with me and I got fed up. Tang mirena out was ok actually, they didn't make a fuss. It was the family planning clinic doctor that was a bit rude. I sort of had to go in demanding the Nuva ring as I didn't want to try more pills. Might consider copper coil then if this doesn't work out.

sksk Thu 23-Jul-15 22:46:51

Is it normal to have brownish discharge while on the Nuva ring? Not sure I'll manage 3 months of trying to see if it settles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now