Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception over 45

(25 Posts)
Bluepetal1 Wed 24-Jun-15 06:28:23

I need to consider contraception and condoms are not long term answer. Dh is going to think about the snip but will possibly procrastinate about it.

I've recently refound my libido and it's very high and I'm terrified of losing it again.
All you over 40s please recommend your contraception.

Thanks

YesThisIsMe Wed 24-Jun-15 06:40:31

Have you used hormonal contraception in the past? What sort and how did you find it? Loads of people get on fine with the minipill but loads don't so it's about your personal response.

(Personally DH has a vascectomy so I'm no help)

Bluepetal1 Wed 24-Jun-15 07:16:48

Thank you . Yes I was on the pill for years and then I tried it again (mini pill) few years ago but I kept forgetting to take it. Maybe in the short run I will try it again. I have investigated the coil but have read so many bad things.

YesThisIsMe Wed 24-Jun-15 07:29:52

If you tried the mini pill and your only problem was remembering to take it (and in particular you didn't find it a libido killer) then the implant is your obvious alternative: same hormones but no pill to remember.

Bluepetal1 Wed 24-Jun-15 07:33:37

Thank you thisisme , I will make an appt with the doctor for later in the week and discuss. And hopefully dh will investigate the snip at some stage. We only reconnecting after not been intimate for a long time and want to get it sorted it quickly .

YesThisIsMe Wed 24-Jun-15 07:34:20

And if you don't smoke, have high blood pressure or get migraines you can still use the combined pill after 40.

Bluepetal1 Wed 24-Jun-15 07:58:32

Thank you so much .

scaevola Wed 24-Jun-15 08:16:22

Have a browse in this topic for threads about the mirena coil, because I think that'll be what a GP would suggest as first option. What is it about them them that you find off-putting?

If you really do not want a coil, then your options are limited (unless you can come up with a way to remember to take the mini pill, and even then at 45 you're getting to the cusp of willingness to prescribe. Though if in good health, normal weight and non-smoker, you might get it as a shorter term option.

Other remaining options would be diaphragm (FPA clinic might be a better place to get hold of one of these than a GP as they're rarely used these days and experience in fitting/training is harder to find) or nuavaring.

Do remember that if your DH does go for vasectomy, it can still take months for him to get an all clear.

Bluepetal1 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:19:48

Thanks sca , I will read up on it again. Think it's time for discussion with the doc .

EmmaAndersonCPPE Thu 25-Jun-15 22:00:12

Hi, have you had a look at the FPA website, www.fpa.org.uk/ They have "my contraception tool" which comes up with some suggestions for you to consider.

Also to note, as discussed above that the FSRH (the clinical gold standard guidance) states that age alone is not a contraindication to any method in their guidance on contraception for the over 40s www.fsrh.org/pdfs/ContraceptionOver40July10.pdf

All the best with finding a suitable method

Emma A

Bluepetal1 Thu 25-Jun-15 23:02:13

Thank you Emma , I have an appt early next week.

EmmaAndersonCPPE Fri 26-Jun-15 09:30:17

I do hope that this goes well. Also is it possible to ask you a favour. I am have a survey canvas women's opinion on contraceptive services to support a learning programme that I am writing. If you get a few minutes is there any chance that you could have a look? www.surveymonkey.com/s/CHZZ2WG?fb_ref=Default

All the best with your appointment
Emma A
(Mum to Katie aged 8 and Joe aged 4)

expatinscotland Fri 26-Jun-15 09:32:53

'If you really do not want a coil, then your options are limited (unless you can come up with a way to remember to take the mini pill, and even then at 45 you're getting to the cusp of willingness to prescribe. Though if in good health, normal weight and non-smoker, you might get it as a shorter term option.

Other remaining options would be diaphragm (FPA clinic might be a better place to get hold of one of these than a GP as they're rarely used these days and experience in fitting/training is harder to find) or nuavaring.'

She can take a combined pill up to menopause provided she does not have health issues that contradict its use - age is not one of them.

There is also a new diaphragm out.

I would go to a FPC rather than a GP, who will immediately suggest a Mirena.

Bluepetal1 Sun 28-Jun-15 07:42:30

Emma I have completed your survey . Thanks again ladies , will let you know what I decide

Bluepetal1 Tue 30-Jun-15 05:23:56

Well an update I spent some time with the doc yesterday. I pity who had the appt after me as she spent 45 mins with me. She gave me a full check up and revisited all my history , ran blood work and everything. We decided the best course of action for now is mini pill. She made me put reminder on my phone whilst there and I will keep them in my purse. The good news is I can only start them when I get my period and yipee that arrived literally when I left the doctors so I'm covered straight away. Fingers crossed now .
Thanks for all the input.

scaevola Tue 30-Jun-15 07:05:15

Bluepetal1: glad you're sorted!

"She can take a combined pill up to menopause provided she does not have health issues that contradict its use - age is not one of them."

Depends which guidelines you look at. Most GPs will go by what NICE says, and age is an important reference point. It is not banned. That is why I referred to 'willingness to prescribe' as NICE give quite a different set of risk factors to consider for those over 40/45 (depending on which pill).

New diaphragm: Do you mean the Caya (one size claimed to fit all)? It does not (yet) feature in textbook contraceptive effectiveness tables, and I was wondering how it compared to a fitted one.

Guyropes Thu 02-Jul-15 19:13:27

I hope you don't find thAt the mini pill kills your libido, having just rediscovered it!

Bluepetal1 Sun 05-Jul-15 09:03:43

Well further update. I have been on cerazzette now since last week. I started it the first day of my period which happily coincided with doc visit. The first few days were pretty light but since Friday it has been so heavy. Dh avoids period sex but tbh it would be extremely messy. I'm now worried there is going to be no let up in the bleeding , after reading some forums .
So far skin seems fine as does libido .

DayLillie Tue 07-Jul-15 12:54:49

cks.nice.org.uk/contraception-assessment#!scenario:4

You can take pop up until 55 if necessary.

I had cerazette and found I had frequent spotting (this was after minimal periods on coc). I switched to an ordinary lower dose pop and had no spotting and no periods at all. However, I had loads after I stopped taking it angry. Libido was about the same as non-coc-pill days. Even better without anything though grin

The oestrogen in coc can kill off your libido - the way it is processed in the liver may reduce available testosterone in your body. If you need hrt, it is worth thinking about this and getting a transdermal one instead of pill form.

Guyropes Wed 08-Jul-15 09:31:11

That's so interesting day Lillie, thanks for posting. Do you mind saying which lower dose pop you used?

DayLillie Wed 08-Jul-15 11:39:18

I used femulen, which was immediately discontinued sad I used it years ago and had normal periods. I think this time because I am perimenopausal and had just come off the coc, it was enough to keep my cycle suppressed. I don't know why I spotted on the cerazette and not this - perhaps it was too much progestogen?

I came off it because I have constipation issues and it was not helping at all. Then I had loads of periods all the time sad

Bluepetal1 Wed 08-Jul-15 23:44:07

Thanks everyone for input. Well I have been bleeding heavily ever since. I rang my go and she said to give it a chance . Anyway tonight there was a huge reduction in the bleed so hopefully it's going to ease off now but will see.
Skin still ok and libido still seems intact , am hungrier but am making determined effort not to eat rubbish or snack extra so hopefully extra weigh won't be an issue. Would really like the bleeding to be gone for the weekend as I really really need a bit of fun ��

Guyropes Thu 09-Jul-15 10:22:55

Day lillie... so44y to hear they discontinued the one which suited you. I wAs read I g the link you put on... it thAt cerazette was the only pop for women over 70 kg, think it must be a highigher dosese.

Blue petal, glad libido is intact, hope the bleeding stops soon.

Sorry about typos, this phone is so crap I can't even go back to correct them.

Bluepetal1 Thu 09-Jul-15 17:46:10

Thanks guy it does seem to be lessening at parts of the day so going to stick it out another wee while.

Bluepetal1 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:14:13

Well on the pill 3 weeks now and finally I stopped bleeding yesterday. It was horrid , I went through boxes of tampons , so hopefully that's it but we will see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now