Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception and breastfeeding

(2 Posts)
Etak15 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:16:56

After having dc 4 six months ago and exclusively breastfeeding now he's gradually getting into his food and sleeping for longer stretches at night, I am thinking I need another method of contraception apart from breastfeeding It has worked for me previously and I have a 2 yr gap between all of them using no contraceptives breastfed others till 18 month ish, but before I knew that I wouldn't mind if I became pregnant - now I would mind!! Any recommendations? And why are some contraceptives unsuitable for breastfeeding is it harmful for baby or does it affect milk quality?

makeminea6x Tue 23-Jun-15 19:20:27

You want a progesterone only method. Your milk may dry up if you use the combined pill. If you haven't used a progesterone only method before it may be worth trying the PO pill first to see if it suits you. A longer acting method is more protective against pregnancy though, as it decreases the capacity for human error (eg forgetting to take a pill). For reliable information look at patient.co.UK and the family planning association websites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now