Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sterilisation and completely removing falopian tubes

(11 Posts)
Lucaslovesfelicity Wed 03-Jun-15 12:43:56

Just after some advice really. I am booked in for a c section in just under 3 weeks time and have been asked by the consultant if I would like to be sterilised at this time. This will be my 3rd child and 2nd c section and do feel that at 37 years old my family is now complete. I have been carrying out research into female sterilisation and whilst doing so, come across lots of studies how removing the falopian tubes and not just cutting them, significantly reduces the risk of ovarian cancer in woman. I don't carry the risky gene but am thinking that whilst they are doing the sterilisation, just to remove the tubes entirely. Anybody requested this to be done during a planned c section. Thanks flowers

scaevola Fri 05-Jun-15 06:28:14

Could you be kind and link the papers that suggest the removal of the tubes makes such a difference?

I can't quite see why removing any structures (other than the ovaries themselves) would make a difference.

OTOH, as sterilisation carried out at the same time as a CS has the highest fail rate (clips on distended body seems to be a little more likely to wander), actual removal would make it much safer, especially if remaining end was well sealed.

Kittymum03 Fri 05-Jun-15 06:40:24

Scaevola,I read an article in the news about it making a lot of sense to remove the tubes at the same time,as otherwise there is still a cancer risk as OP said.It was the other week though and I can't remember where I read it grin
Hopefully someone who knows a bit more will be along soon,OP.I hope it all goes well for you flowers

Lucaslovesfelicity Sat 06-Jun-15 20:11:41

RCOG.Org.uk

Lucaslovesfelicity Sat 06-Jun-15 20:19:46

www.dailymail.co.uk>article-2840212

Hope this works and thanks for your feedbackflowers

Lucaslovesfelicity Sat 06-Jun-15 20:22:31

Doctors explain how they will cut the risk of ovarian cancer - Daily Mail Article.

Sorry I am rubbish, I can't seem to do the links but this is the article title.

Kittymum03 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:27:42

Give this a bump for you as hopefully somebody will read it who knows something about it smile

Lucaslovesfelicity Sun 07-Jun-15 00:10:42

Thanks Kittymum smile

Twodogsandahooch Sun 07-Jun-15 00:25:29

I have just had a quick google on the subject and I would be surprised if you would be able to convince your obstetrician to remove your tubes on the current available evidence. most studies have said that more research is needed on the subject.

It would definitely be worth discussing though.

Lucaslovesfelicity Sun 07-Jun-15 08:35:20

Thanks for taking the time to read it two dogs. That's what I thought too. I might discuss it with the hospital during my pre - op appointment and see they think about it. It was dugong my last appointment that the directed me towards the RCOG information re sterilisation.

Lucaslovesfelicity Sun 07-Jun-15 08:36:25

Sorry, that should read that it was during my last appointment blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now