Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which coil? Questions about Mirena.

(6 Posts)
snozzlemaid Thu 21-May-15 22:03:47

Saw my GP today about having a coil fitted and I now have to decide which one to go for. (Fed up with using condoms after a couple of failures).
I think I'm going for the mirena but have some questions for anyone who has had one...
Does it affect your libido? I've not had much of a sex drive at times of my life (I'm now 43) but for the last few years my libido goes through the roof at ovulation time which we take advantage of.
Also, would the hormone have any effect on PMS. I'm difficult to live with a few days before my period each month, so would welcome this improving.
I took the pill for many years when younger and never had any problems with the hormones so I'm hoping I'd be fine with the mirena now.

Willdoitinaminute Thu 21-May-15 22:28:46

I have had a Mirena for the last 10yrs and although libido is not as it was I suspect it is more to do with age rather than coil.
The Mirena releases a small amount of progesterone which acts locally on the womb lining stopping it thickening which eventually results in no periods. It does not stop ovulation and it may help lessen the menopause symptoms.
It prevents implantation by its physical presence in the uterus.
I had very heavy periods which caused chronic anaemia so the Mirena has been fantastic. It is a little uncomfortable when fitted and causes a small amount of cramping initially ( hours not days) and you tend to get spotting up to 6 months while it beds in. I tend to wear a light tenna liner daily ( bladder is very scarred from endometriosis so can be leaky) but I have used about five mini tampons over the last ten years and have never needed STs.
I have no experience of the other types of coil.

Momzilla82 Thu 21-May-15 22:36:16

Have you asked about Jaydess? It's a relatively new coil which has one seventh of the hormones in Merina and was designed to get around a lot of the reports of side effects of that option. I had it put in before Christmas and I've had no problems at all. One of my friends who struggled with copper and Merina is also finding it works for her.

Lillamyy1 Mon 15-Jun-15 21:03:03

That's very useful to know about the Jaydess, I'll look into it.
I'm also wondering which coil to go for as taking the pill has always been very detrimental to the state of my mental health - last time I went on it I became very paranoid and angry all the time as well as depressed to the point of even having suicidal thoughts (this was 7 years ago) so very nervous about having any more hormonal contraception, although my doctor has suggested the mirena might be worth trying to alleviate my bad pmt.
Anyone else had issues with the pill but not with the mirena/jaydess?

Guyropes Thu 18-Jun-15 12:06:00

I'm interested too. Will need to choose once baby is born, and hAve suffered from anaemia with copper coil, and low libido with the pill, so not sure which way to go....

Hoping for more posts on here with experiences.

BlueBlueSea Fri 19-Jun-15 14:18:00

I have had the Mirena for the past 6 years. Due to have it taken out but have not got round to it.

I found the first 3 months horrid, my skin was awful and I bled on and off for that time. I was on the verge of asking to have it removed, then it all settled down and has been fine since. I have still had periods every 28 days right through, but very light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now