Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vasectomy under 40?

(13 Posts)
feministdog Sat 02-May-15 18:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieStella Sat 02-May-15 19:03:02

Yes, it's not the age that's the problem. It's that best practice says that it's should follow close on to major life events (including childbirth), though it's not usually difficult to find practioners who will depart from that.

As it takes 4-6 months to get the 'all clear' after vasectomy, you're going to need another form of contraception for quite some time yet.

If you've got a spare £400 or so, you could get it done by Marie Stopes.

MrsGuyGarvey Sat 02-May-15 19:05:58

DH had one when he was about 37 after our third child within three years, we did go the Marie Stopes route but that was only because the Nhs waiting list was very long and we really didn't want another one. Try a different Dr.

Jaguarana Sat 02-May-15 19:07:31

DH had his at 36 after our third DC was born. There were no problems arranging it, the only thing the doctor said was that they usually like the couple's youngest child to be at least a year old. Ours was 10 months, but due to the PND I had after DC3 was born they relaxed this.

DH & I went to see the doctor about the vasectomy together so the doctor knew we were both on the same page about it and that we were sure our family was complete.

scaevola Sat 02-May-15 19:09:11

Marie Stopes are a really good provider (DH was over 40, but the NHS waiting list was 6mths at the time we decided it was right for us, and once decided we wanted it we wanted to get on with it).

Their doctors do several procedures a day (unlike GPs, and getting an NHS referral to a urologist can be tricky) thus minimising, though not eliminating, problems arising from doctor inexperience.

autumnboys Sat 02-May-15 19:11:28

DH had his at 37 when ds3 was 10 weeks old. ds3 had been in SCBU and we were adamant that we were done.

ragged Sat 02-May-15 19:13:28

DH has his at age 33.

Pilgrimforever Sat 02-May-15 19:13:38

DH had his done under general anaesthetic on the NHS when he was 33. DC5 was 1 at the time. DH had to wait about 6 months but it would have been less if he had had it done under local anaesthetic.
Our GP had no problem referring him at such a young age.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 02-May-15 19:34:53

DH had his at 31, with no arguments. We went to the GP when DC2 was 6 weeks old, said we didn't want anymore after I'd suffered complications, and they had him booked in 2 months later. Its strange how different its done, borough to borough

DrDre Mon 08-Jun-15 13:48:22

Err yes! I had my vasectomy at 32. Nobody queried it based on my age.

GreatJoanUmber Mon 08-Jun-15 13:54:11

DH will be having his this week, he's 35. No problems at all. They did invite us both for the pre-op 'discussion' visit, where we explained that DC3 was a happy accident but we are ready for the irreversible type of contraception now as we really don't want a fourth! DC3 was 15m old then.
It took a good few weeks from GP referral to seeing the consultant, and then again a few weeks to get the appointment for the snip to come through. And then as mentioned by a PP, a few months to clear the system, so the whole process takes a lot longer than one might think anyway!

wrapsuperstar Mon 08-Jun-15 13:56:38

My partner had his at 38 while I was pregnant with our second child. No muss, no fuss. Certainly no mention of him being 'too young' (I am 11 years younger) or the op taking place too close to a pregnancy/birth. We're very happy with the decision.

TheFuzz Wed 10-Jun-15 21:59:00

No issues if in your 40s. GP didn't even ask my wife but I was "sent" to be done. We both regret it as I have PVPS and it's ruined our sex life and made me miserable. 24/7 pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now