Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear Test Worries- Impending Colposcopy

(8 Posts)
sksk Fri 31-Oct-14 09:34:02

My smear test results are abnormal (borderline changes) and are positive for HPV, which means I have to have a colposcopy. It won't be for 4 weeks, though, which gives me loads of time to keep thinking about it and getting worried!
Has anyone had this and has anyone had to have a biosy and/or treatment at the colposcopy appontment? If so, what did they do?

Clearly I am anxious even though it might not be anything to get worried about.
I'm also very worried about the speculum which, thanks to a 4th degree tear, is mostly awful as the scar tissue means that the back wall of the vagina won't stretch! I know a colposcopy can last 10-15 mins (maybe longer if a biopsy and treatment is done?). Also, I found any kind of examination or medical stuff down there really awful (had an examination and Mirena coil placed a while ago; the coil was subsequenly removed). All the advice leaflets and information really downplay everything. But I just don't trust when they say " might experience mild period pain types of sensations" as it has usually turned out to be much more painful!
Any advice is welcome! Thank you.

DayLillie Fri 31-Oct-14 15:04:06

I feel for you - I am trying to decide whether to go for a second mammogram. I hate the impersonal side of screening and feeling you are on a conveyer belt that you cannot stop....It is also the not quite knowing what to expect.

Can you take someone with you who can do the driving, take you for a coffee afterwards (and maybe hold your hand if they are good enough) to help take some of the stress from it? A friend, your mum, a friend of your mum's? (I wish I still had my MIL - she would have been good!)

sksk Fri 31-Oct-14 15:33:53

Thanks for replying. I would take my husband but he will have to be at work. My friends are not close by and my parents are away for several months. My MIL is lovely but doesn't drive. I also don't really want to say anything about this to the family (haven't told my family yet, either). I will try and speak to the colposcopy nurse over the phone so I can explain my worries about the speculum. I can take some paracetamol beforehand. I feel exactly the same way about how they handle abnormal results- I didn't mind the letter when previous tests were normal! It's just so invasive and I get quite emotional with anything to do with down there since the tear.
Good luck for your follow up!

donkir Fri 31-Oct-14 15:46:32

I've had CIN3 abnormal cells in the past and have needed several laser (LETZ) treatments.
However the initial colposcopy was slightly uncomfortable and I had mild cramping for a few days after.
The positive outcomes definitely out weigh the discomfort.

Iloveweetos Fri 31-Oct-14 15:51:41

I've had a few colposcopys and tbh they aren't nice but definitely worth doing. Tbh now I don't really remember it being painful but just found looking at the inside of my vagina weird! Also I'm sure it didn't take near 15mins!

Iloveweetos Fri 31-Oct-14 15:55:11

Also just read post properly! (Sorry) take maybe cocodamol to be sure? Try not to be too anxious as it will hurt more then. I found once I just breathed and looked at the pictures I wasn't so tense down there x

tortoisesarefab Fri 31-Oct-14 16:01:38

I had this years ago, also borderline changes. The colposcopy was no worse than a smear and they offered to treat me or just leave things alone and check again as sometimes it goes away. I waited and was clear the next time and have had normal smear tests since so it doesn't always mean that you will need treatment

sksk Fri 31-Oct-14 21:28:43

Thank you, unfortunately the tear has led to scar tissue so it's not as naturally 'stretchy' in there, hence the pain with the speculum. I even get pain when the weather is cold! tMight try some over the counter cocodamol beforehand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now