Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

delaying a period

(6 Posts)
allag Mon 27-Jan-14 21:05:46

not sure if this is the right place or whether i should post in general health but wanted to see if anyone has used the drug norethisterone (I think) to delay their period and how it was. i am a bit scared as it sounds horribly unnatural but i have an INCREDIBLY important trip at work in a week's time which involves masses of travel, lots of presenting, spending days in constant meetings (mostly presenting or in very involved talks) and my periods are completely debilitating and incredibly heavy - it is a disaster waiting to happen. Has anyone tried it and how was it? have an appt tomorrow to talk to doctor about it but it seems there is only one way to delay it, which is this one? many thanks for any tips

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 04-Feb-14 20:42:15

I've not used it but I've heard good things about it. I certainly wouldn't worry apart from potential side effects you may have that could affect your trip as this is your first time you can't predict but I'm sure the chances are so skin it's not worth worrying about.

Are you not on the combined pill as a contraceptive? Xx

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 04-Feb-14 20:42:47

Ps not as unnatural as it sounds smile

NormHonal Tue 04-Feb-14 20:44:08

Not used it, but FYI you can order it online to collect from a Lloyds pharmacy, for a fee. Just for future reference.

Good luck!

Primrose123 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:47:42

It's fine, I've used it, and my 13 year old DD is taking it this week as she has gone on a school holiday. I haven't had any terrible reactions. The only downside is that my next period is a bit more uncomfortable than usual.

NannyR Tue 04-Feb-14 21:16:12

I saw my gp last week to discuss delaying a period for a big holiday and she prescribed me a drug called provera rather than norethisterone as this has far fewer side effects and a much lower risk of dvt (something to consider if you're taking a long haul flight).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now