Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Combined pill + breastfeeding toddler?

(2 Posts)
charliemousewilldoit Mon 27-Jan-14 16:28:20

Other than a possible reduction in milk production, is there a medical reason why women are advised not to take the combined pill whilst breastfeeding?

My DD is almost three and still breastfeeds maybe twice a day. DH and I used condoms for the first two years, and then I went on Cerazette about a year ago. I hated it. It gave me terrible mood swings (I am usually pretty stable), headaches and I bled constantly. So, we went back to using condoms.

We don't want condoms to be a long-term solution though and I get very squeamish at the thought of a coil being inserted. I was on Microgynon for over a decade before TTC and got on very well with it, so I wonder if it would be a possibility to go back on that. I'm not worried about a dwindling milk supply, but obviously I'd be worried about the effect it might have on my DD.

TwittyMcTwitterson Tue 04-Feb-14 20:43:32

I believe the hormones get into your milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now