Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will the implant be better than mirena?

(4 Posts)
watchingwaves Fri 02-Nov-12 12:20:27

I had a Mirena coil fitted at the beginning of March and since then had had bleeding/spotting more days than not. I went back to my gp at the beginning of October and she checked the coil was still in place (it was) and said that the lining of my uterus was much thicker than she would expect and she prescribed me a three week course of Norethisterone to stop the bleeding (she also took a swab which showed a minor infection so I had a course of antibiotics to sort that out). I finished the course of norethisterone last Friday and had been told to expect a light period a few days later.

On Monday evening, amidst very heavy bleeding, my Mirena coil came out. I tried phoning my gp on the Tuesday morning but they couldn't give me an appointment until next week and when I said that I was considering the contraceptive implant instead they said that they wouldn't fit that and I'd have to go to the local family planning clinic.

I've got an appointment for Wednesday morning when, as long as there is no reason they can't following discussion with the doctor, they will fit an implant. However, the nurse on the advice line, who I left a message for on Tuesday, has just phoned and after explaining to her what had happened and that I was considering the implant instead she said that if I've had problems with bleeding on mirena I almost certainly will on the implant too. Has anyone got first hand experience of this?

whizmum Fri 02-Nov-12 12:58:17

My doctor told me that Mirena, pop, implant, injection are all basically the same thing but in different ways, ie they are all giving you progesterone, but delivering it to your body differently.

Personally, I prefer pills, as I have more control over them and can stop taking them if I do not want to take them any more.

Otherwise, there is the combined pill, copper coil, sterilisation, or the good old barrier methods (with spermicides)

Might the infection have had an effect on the bleeding - you might just need something with a different dose. Hopefully you can get back to that family planning nurse who may have some more ideas.

watchingwaves Fri 02-Nov-12 13:28:06

Thanks whizmum. I'm really disappointed that the Mirena coil hasn't worked for me. I knew from reading posts on here that it's something people either generally love or hate and I was really hoping it would be the answer for me.

I've been told I can't have the injection due to a family history of osteoporosis and I don't have enough of a daily routine to remember to take a pill at the same time everyday. I'd also be concerned with the pill that if you have vomiting/diarrhea it may not work.

Obviously with condoms there's the risk of it splitting so I'd rather have something hormonal + condoms. Belt and braces!

DaveMccave Mon 05-Nov-12 20:39:39

I had an implant for 3 years, no real problems, no bleeding other than very occasional spotting.

Had mirena fitted 18 months a go, it fell out over the weekend after a few episodes of severe stomach pains. I can't get anything fitted until I know I'm definitely not pregnant and it's all very stressful.

I had periods for the first few months as well as in between spotting with the mirena at first, also stomach and back pains. But after about 6 months it did all settle down and I hadn't had any bleeding at all for a year when it fell out.

I've done a lot of research and a few articles I've read have said you have 20-30% higher risk of rejecting another coil if you've lost one already.

In my experience the implant and coil were different. I think it's worth a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now