Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's the best contraception for me?

(3 Posts)
fancynancypants Fri 19-Oct-12 14:01:24

I am 27 and have two children (youngest is 5wks). Prior to having them I was on the pill for around 10 years.

I want something longer term (want at least 5 years off having babies!) that I dont have to think about every day.

I am thinking my options are injection or implant. I don't want a coil - I have totally had enough of anyone fiddling about down there!!

My biggest worry is weight gain however, I seriously dont want to gain weight and have heard bad things about the injection in this respect.

ANy thoughts?

Hi!

I'd suggest the implant. Its a fairly new form of contraceptive so there's not much conclusive research re weight gain.

I had the implant for just over three years. Never gained weight, lost weight in fact! To be honest, I had no side effects at all. My only concern was the lack of periods, I never had one! I was so worried that my body 'didn't work anymore' that I had it removed. Fell pregnant 3 months later, I now have 12 week old DS! I'm using micronor as breast feeding. Not ready to commit to anything long term yet but when I do, it will definitely be the implant!

I must add, many females in my female are using the injection but they have all gained a considerable amount of weight. It may be a genetic thing though.

HTH

Geordieminx Fri 19-Oct-12 21:18:21

I know you don't want anyone fiddling down there, but a copper coil really would be your best option.. No hormones so no wait gain/mood swings and you don't need to worry about it for 5 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now