Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Options if pill/coil don't work

(11 Posts)
CAB07 Thu 11-Oct-12 11:52:44

I'd love to get some advice please. I had the mirena coil fitted but after 6 months had it removed as it made me very depressed...I know it works for lots of people but it didn't for me. As a result I'm not keen on trying the pill as worry the hormones will do the same thing. I don't want another type of coil as my periods are already very heavy and painful but I want to think about what other options there are. My dh is keen to have the snip but I am very anti it - but that said we definitely don't want to have any more children. Does anyone have any ideas/advice....thanks so much for your time.

JammySplodger Thu 11-Oct-12 12:05:21

I used to find the pill sent me all over the place, and the contraceptive injections too. Got an Implanon implant put in two years ago and it's been great. Might be worth having a chat with the GP about, not sure if you'd get the same problems as with the coil. Also (no expert here) can you get a coil that's not hormonal?

CAB07 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:15:05

I'll ask about that thank you. There is a non hormonal coil but apparently makes painful heavier periods heavier and more painful so I'm not thrilled by the idea.

JammySplodger Thu 11-Oct-12 13:21:54

No, that doesn't sound much fun. If it helps, I've only had two very light periods since I've had the implant put in. The GP reckoned it was the most popular contraceptive used by the surgery's female staff too, which probably clinched it for me.

thekingfisher Thu 11-Oct-12 13:24:31

CAB07 I am in exactly your boat, have had the mirena for 6 months - have had really poor sleep, hair loss and very up and down moods also (TMI) a lot of ..ahem...discharge...

So am seeing the dr next week to talk about it 0 am going to have my thyroid function checked before I have it out but it has worked on my hideous periods so feel stuck between a rock and hard place really....

HRH008 Tue 16-Oct-12 13:35:51

Watching this with interest ... am in the same boat ... or at least I will be next week when I get the bastarding Mirena removed!

CAB07 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:53:49

HRH008 I haven't looked back since I had it out! good luck.

HRH008 Thu 18-Oct-12 18:15:43

Thanks CAB I keep second guessing myself about the Mirena as it only makes me crazy for about a week each month ... it´s just that it makes that week last forever. I think I´m going to go back to horrendous periods and try a mooncup. Still no idea about contraception though ..

TheLightPassenger Thu 18-Oct-12 18:35:34

could be worth giving the pill a try, as at least as soon as you don't feel right, you can just stop taking it, and it should be out of your system pretty quickly.

Saranza Fri 19-Oct-12 15:20:46

Have you considering natural family planning? No side-effects at all (so that Mooncup might be handy). Takes a bit of learning but once it's sussed you only have to think about it for 2 minutes a day about 10 days a month.

Make sure you learn properly though, from a teacher - not just by guessing or using an app. Here's some info: www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/sexual_health/contr_natfamplan.shtml

GimmeIrnBru Fri 19-Oct-12 17:40:39

OP, I was at the FPC today and was asking for advice as I'm a heavy bleeder too (just had Implant removed today as it made my periods even more heavier than normal!). Only options I was given was Mirena, copper coil or depot injection. I don't want hormonal contraception as I am an emotional wreck on them. So I'm left with very little options, tbh.

Unlike you OP, I want DH to get the snip but he's not for it!

Condoms for us now I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now