Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirena pro's and cons

(7 Posts)
6692mumof3 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:49:51

Hi im lokking for some advice please ..... ive been the pill for 20 yrs im nearly 40 so gp has said i need to start thinking of an alternative . I ve chatted to hubby about having the snip which he is thinking about not pressuring him but in case he says no i thought id better look at another option ive read alot about different ones the implant and injection seem to not get great reviews but the mirena is very mixed i have heard alot about weight gain mood swings depression and i really dont want to start something that is going to cause this .... i dont need any help in that area !!!! so i just wanted to hear what your experiences are good and bad .Thanks

Lottapianos Wed 10-Oct-12 16:53:33

I have had mine for 2 and half years. No weight gain. No periods, just an occasional very light bleed for a day or two. Recently things have changed a bit, I have had some odd cramping and irregular slightly heavier bleeding but still not a huge problem.

The only thing I don't like about is that you don't have your monthly bleed that you do on the pill. I panicked recently with my new odd symptoms and did a pregnancy test but luckily all was negative smile Whoever fits it for you will show you how to feel for the strings and if you can feel them, it means it's in place and working fine.

Shesparkles Wed 10-Oct-12 17:01:47

I've used mirena with no problems for 13 years. Obviously I've had more than 1! I've had no side effects at all, had the 1st removed to TTC, and was pregnant within a month, and had a new one after my post natal check. I'm 42 now and I'm due to have the current one replaced and wouldn't have anything else. I'm not sure of all the ins and outs but when I was having my last smear test, the practice nurse mentioned that it can help with menopause symptoms. I think I'm a wee while away from that, but it's certainly making me keep mine!

Shesparkles Wed 10-Oct-12 17:02:55

I meant to say I have no bleeding at all, not even spotting, so over 13 years I can't even think what I've saved on sanpro!

Susieloo Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:06

I had been on the pill for years and hated the side effects, flat mood, no sex drive and weight gain through appetite increasing so my gp recommended the mirena coil because the hormones are localised-allegedly- and I didn't want any more hormonal side effects. It was horrendous, I suffered intense paranoia and anxiety on a scale unlike anything I have ever known, it got so bad that I was going to bed thinking 'it wouldn't be too bad if I died in my sleep' I know this is extreme but it was very genuine. It was the one time that I was grateful to dr google because I found out that my symptoms were really common. I went back to the dr after about three months begging to have it taken out, I had said I would give it six months. It was removed and I then went on ad's for six months to try and 'rebalance' me.

There are lots of people who have had mirena that have had no side effects but I would say if you are susceptible to hormonal contraceptives and or are prone to depression and anxiety it may not suit you. It was interesting to me that when I went back to my dr with all these side effects expecting her to say that what I was experiencing was not related to mirena, a lot of gp's do not believe it can cause these effects, she said 'yes it can happen with some people'.

Sorry that's so long and dramatic but I wanted to give you an accurate portrayal of how it was for me, there will be lots of people who have got on with it brilliantly.

Hthsmile

RosemarySalt Wed 10-Oct-12 17:18:20

Just to give the other side of the story and confuse you even further wink I do have a history of depression, anxiety and OCD but have been happily on Mirena for 2 years and touch wood no problems at all. Similarly no periods as such, a little spotting at first but now get a monthly day or so of very light 'bleed' which is like the last day of a normal period, needs nothing more than a pant liner. I was very sceptical about it and worried about hormones etc but have been fine so I would definitely say its worth a try.

6692mumof3 Thu 11-Oct-12 09:31:29

Thanks for your replies alot more positive stories than i have read before still undecided but i suppose i wont know unless i try it !!! Thanx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now