Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena. Bleeding, keep keep bleeding....

(6 Posts)
DialMforMummy Sat 29-Sep-12 08:09:49

Morning all,
I had the Mirena fitted at the beginning of September and after a few days of spotting, I am now starting my third week of period-like bleeding.
I know that it is quite common to bleed after having a coil fitted but after more than two weeks of periods and no sign of it stopping, I'd be interested to know what your experience is.
Besides the bleeding, I have no pain or any other symptom that may indicate an infection.
I was really looking forward to 5 years of no period bliss and feel really quite short-changed angry
Thank you

purplewithred Sat 29-Sep-12 08:16:37

I bled and spotted for about five weeks with my first, to the point where I was about to have it taken out. Then magically it stopped. That was over 18 period-free years ago.

I know experiences with the mirena vary a lot and can only talk from my own: I'd probably speak to the GP now if I were you but if GP is happy I'd give it another couple of weeks. If it works for you it is soooooooo worth it grin

SilveryMoon Sat 29-Sep-12 08:21:09

Pre-coil, I had bled every day for 2 years, and not lightly.
I've had my coil since december and is fine, but i do still bleed a bit. Not much, but is very unpredictable so am still wearing towels/liners daily.
I'd give it another week or so, then go and talk to your gp

DialMforMummy Sat 29-Sep-12 19:11:11

Thank you. Bit of advice: buy shares from Always; somehow I feel they're going to make good business...
Still related: are tampons ok to use at this time? I LOATHE sanitary towels.

MegMogAndOwl Sat 06-Oct-12 06:36:33

I had mirena fitted on 31st aug, the bleeding stopped about 2 days ago. I knew it would last a couple of weeks but still seemed to go on forever!

My gp told me not to use tampons for the first 6 weeks due to the risk of infection. I agree sanitary towels are rubbish, glad they're not like the ones I used as a teenager me though smile

wishiwasonholiday Sat 06-Oct-12 06:38:54

A moon cup should be ok if you are ok with it rather than sanitary towels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now