Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

implant or mirena? been years since Ive actively used contraception.

(8 Posts)
SweetFannyCraddock Tue 04-Sep-12 21:38:03

i can not get pregnant. i have too many health issues and mh problems, so dh and I have decided to stop ttc altogether.

I had an ep 5.5y ago, so copper coil is out, but I am trying to decide between mirena and implant.

all stories gratefully received.

SweetFannyCraddock Wed 05-Sep-12 07:53:09

Bump

SweetFannyCraddock Wed 05-Sep-12 07:53:09

Bump

Katz Wed 05-Sep-12 07:55:18

I was having a similar debate myself, i went for the mirena after a discussion with my GP, and i love it, next to no monthly bleeding, a small amount of weight gain (but thats probably more down to cookies and icecream).

SweetFannyCraddock Wed 05-Sep-12 08:00:53

Thank you. I'm not fussed about weight gain, but the lighter bleeding sounds ace.

Katz Wed 05-Sep-12 12:18:31

Mine's been life changing if i'm honest. I used to bleed for around 10 days every 20 days, very heavily, my mooncup was great but i still had huge issues with flooding and mess especially at night. Now 5-6 days of very light hardly noticeable spotting once a month and that's it! The other big change has been my energy levels, they've gone up, i guess not loosing the amount of blood i was must be good for my body. There have been a couple of negatives such as very sore boobs once a month and i did bleed for around 6 weeks when it was put in, but 8 months on and i'm a fan.

I chose coil over implant simply because my friend got pregnant with the implant in and the GP recommend the coil over the implant.

Jenny70 Fri 14-Sep-12 16:20:23

I had this discussion today with my gp nurse...

Medical people swear that Mirena has revolutionised long term contraception for women... but personally I am not convinced it is for me.

For me the two things against are the insertion process sounds traumatic - having never delivered vaginally I think it would be painful (and taking 2 panadol beforehand sounds lame), and secondly the string irks me. But if I could get over that it probably is superior.

For me, I am happy to try the implant - GP can do it, can be removed (or moderated with mini pill) if not suiting me, and to me less invasive.

Considering I went for advice and a pap smear today and the nurse (experienced in this!) couldn't find my cervix, I am thinking the mirena insertion would be crap for my body...

GimmeIrnBru Sun 14-Oct-12 16:04:12

I am having the Implant out after months of extremely heavy bleeds. It's horrendous. I was hoping to last out the year and then get it removed but I cannot for my own sanity. It's getting removed next week. Others seem to think it's fantastic. The only way to know is to try it yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now