Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Implant causing problems, not sure which contraceptive to use.

(5 Posts)
Fcas Mon 06-Aug-12 22:54:15

I have had the implant since September oast year since then I have had irregular bleeds at least 3 times a month lasting 1-5 days. My last implant before having DS I had nothing for 3 years.
I'm now fed up with this and not sure what to change to I was on microgynon..
But i am very forgetful, missed pill here & there and I now have DS as a result of my forgetfulness.
Im considering the injection, I'm not wanting to be caught out again.
Any suggestions?

TheLightPassenger Mon 06-Aug-12 23:05:40

the depo injection might be just as bad for irregular bleeding though, as all progesterone based contraception is quite likely to cause irregular bleeding as a side effect, and you need to remember to get it at the right time every few months. You might be better putting up with the implant tbh.

TheLightPassenger Mon 06-Aug-12 23:06:10

maybe mirena would be worth a try, though that can also cause irregular bleeding?

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 07-Aug-12 16:54:35

mirena is most likely to stop or reduce bleeding as that is one of the things it is used to help with (heavy periods). I had constant spotting/bleeding with the depo and put on loads of weight (common side effect) and after having cerazette (and no bleeding) for about 3 years I now have the mirena coil. It has been fine so far and have only had a few days of light spotting/bleeding and the rest of the time am period free.

GimmeIrnBru Sun 14-Oct-12 16:10:44

I've also had problems with the Implant. Wouldn't recommend it and would not suggest just putting up with the bleeds as it can have an impact on your emotional wellbeing. I would suggest a meeting at your FPC and talk over your options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now