Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena and breastfeeding question

(3 Posts)
ArlingtonStringham Sun 23-Oct-11 12:39:26

I'm due to have a Mirena put in this week but I suddenly have a question I've only just thought of. I will discuss with the Doctor but just wondered if anyone here knew.

My first baby (exclusively breastfed on demand) is 7 weeks old today, I've never had any kind of hormonal birth control before...

The doctor said I would still have my normal hormonal cycle [I asked her if I would still ovulate - I like ovulating sad ] with the mirena in but hopefully with reduced symptoms/no bleeding perhaps, but I'm wondering if that because I'm breastfeeding and don't have a hormonal cycle yet - will the mirena start my cycle off again with the hormones? Or will it just stay there until it starts again naturally, whenever that is...

Basically - how do I know if it's working if I'm not having periods due to breastfeeding? What actually happens to your cycle with the Mirena & breastfeeding? Hope this makes sense...

somanymiles Sun 23-Oct-11 19:06:22

You'll know it's not working of you don't get pegnant smile

I am on my second Mirena and breastfed for the first year with the last one - no periods, but got pregnant easily a year after having it removed. Now on my second Mirena and have been breastfeeding for 8 months. Just had one day of spotting but otherwise no periods. No idea about ovulation - sorry!

ArlingtonStringham Sun 23-Oct-11 19:23:53

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now