Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sex after having the mirena coil fitted

(4 Posts)
shona12554778564 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:44:22

My doctor hardly knows anything about the Mirena coil and couldn't answer the questions that I wanted to ask, last friday was when I had my mirena fitted and the next day, I woke up with no sign of pmt, I was in a really good mood and still am, the spot bleeding has stopped but I'm still wearing panty liners because of the discharge but I was told that it would happen but the thing I am worried about is sex....how long should I wait? and will there be any pain?....this is the first time I've had the mirena fitted and I'm sure I can still feel it inside me.....or maybe my insides are slightly swollen?.....I'm jus' so confused and the leaflets don't give out the information I need....any help on this would be greatly accepted....thanking anyone who can help in advance xxx

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 10-Oct-11 15:02:00

I have a Mirena. Have sex as soon as you feel ready for it, and no, it shouldn't hurt, nor should your partner be able to feel the string. If he can, return to your GP to have it shortened.

I found I had irregular breakthrough spotting/bleeding for about 6 months after fitting; since then I've had no periods and only one day when I woke up wanting to kill. Which was a massive improvement... I'm a bit stupid so haven't had mine replaced when I should have done (5 years in the UK, I think it's licensed for 7 elsewhere in the EU) and it's only about 8 or 9 years later that I'm starting to get some breakthrough bleeding. i am 49 so possibly a bit menopausal anyway, but I shall have a new one fitted and hope it sees me through!

NB some people have had a terrible time with yhe Mirena, but I love mine!

shona12554778564 Mon 10-Oct-11 15:20:23

Thank you OldLadyKnowsNothing you have set my (confused) mind at ease (((hugs))) xx

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 10-Oct-11 15:25:14

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now