Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Long term contraception

(5 Posts)
Dillydollydaydream Thu 29-Sep-11 13:46:55

I've been on the pill on/off for 10 years, only coming off to ttc or during pregnancy.
It wasn't perfect but no major problems.
I'm now looking for something longer term as I already have 3dc. I think I'm done at 3 and am looking at going back to uni in the next year or so.
I'd thought about the implant but I've heard so many bad stories about it that I've been put off tbh.
I've been told I probably should avoid mirena as I have a history of ovarian cysts?
I'm not really keen on the copper coil as I already have very heavy periods when not on the pill and they can become worse on the copper coil?

I don't really want to keep taking the pill indefinitely, I have suggested my DH has a vasectomy but he's not keen.
How likely will it be that I'll be allowed to be steralised?
I'm 33 by the way, too young possibly?

QueenStromba Thu 29-Sep-11 16:18:38

I'm 29 with no children and I managed to get referred for a sterilisation by my GP. I've met with the consultant and she's willing to do it as long as I lose a couple of stone and another consultant signs off on it. If I was 30 I wouldn't need the second doctor's approval so this shouldn't be a problem for you.

My advice if you want to try and go down this route is to spend some time thinking about it so that you are 100% sure that it's what you want. You don't sound entirely sure from your post and you'll probably not convince a doctor to do it if you're not convinced yourself.

My GP and the consultant both asked if my feelings would change if I met a new man who really wanted children and how I would feel if in a couple of years my hormones kicked in and I got really broody. They both suggested the Mirena which I said I really didn't want after having a terrible experience with the implant. I also suffer from heavy periods when not on the pill and neither of them suggested the copper coil because of this. I think if you wobble in the consultation you'll come out with an implant or a coil.

Towards the end of the consultation I was told all of the things that can go wrong so it would be an idea to research these so that you have time to think it through rather than freaking out and deciding it's not for you in the consultation and regretting it later.

Dillydollydaydream Thu 29-Sep-11 18:45:04

Thank you for the advice. Really helpful. Good to hear my age shouldn't be an issue if I do decide sterilisation is the way to go.

Yankeecandlequeen Tue 18-Oct-11 13:32:14

I'm 37 & was sterilised last year. I have 3 kids (youngest 3) & my GP had no problems in referring me. If you have a good GP who listens, it should be a problem.

Yankeecandlequeen Tue 18-Oct-11 13:32:54

*shouldn't*!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now