Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

weight gain with mirena coil?

(11 Posts)
happyatlast Wed 28-Sep-11 11:10:03

Could I just have a yay or nay please if you have had the mirena coil fitted and gained weight?

Having it fitted next month but dont want to gain weight with it.

Thank you grin

falasportugues Wed 28-Sep-11 11:20:43

happy at last, I would like the same info! trying to choose between the 2 coils!

hope your thread gets a conclusive response. thanks

happyatlast Wed 28-Sep-11 11:25:25

I am leaning more towards the hormone free one now. My periods are weird, I get them every 24 days, for the first 6 hours I use a super plus tampon every 15mins and then it practically stops, within 3 days its over, so what I am looking for is someone who has similar periods to me and has had it fitted to see if it makes it better or worse and if it makes them hungry etc.

I am incredibly fertile, unbelievably so, nearly 38, have 3 children and cant risk getting pregnant again so I need some decent form of contraception. sad

Tyrionlovingyourwork Wed 28-Sep-11 11:35:42

yes to weight gain (10lbs), pms and spots.
Much better periods.

falasportugues Wed 28-Sep-11 11:37:00

hi happy,

I can't say I have similar periods! I have had the copper coil for 5 years and need it renewed, and am deciding between them. I am considering mirena, because If I have sex at the fertile time, I feel that I actually concieve, and then have a very lumpy clotty period which is like a miscarriage. this makes me sad, as id love to have more kids but can't afford it. The dr advice is that mirena can be prescribed for dealing with period probelm alone ( ie not for contraceptive reasons), especially heavy periods. I would really like to know about weight gain. I might look through past threads on here as I bet this question has come up before! if i find any i will bump them for you

godd luck

thanks

happyatlast Wed 28-Sep-11 11:46:34

Thank you, its really worrying me about the weight gain, so I am trying to get an idea of what percentage of women gain weight from it?? grin

falasportugues Wed 28-Sep-11 11:55:34

The leaflet the dr gave me about mirena says that the side effects are uncommon, that they tend to last for the first 3-6 months and then go, and include mood swings, reduced sex drive, fluid retention, increase in acne and breast discomfort.It says there is no evidence that women with a mirena put on weight.

I would still be interested in anecdotal evidence about the weight gain though!

Tyrionlovingyourwork Thu 29-Sep-11 16:32:16

consultant was putting mirena in whilst talking about weight gain and teh need to diet and exercise to combat this.

footballmum Thu 29-Sep-11 19:34:58

I've just had mine out and cited the weight gain as one of the reasons. My GP told me that the British public are, on average, gaining 4lbs a year so over 4 years, with or without the coil, you are likely to gain approximately a stone-exactly what I've gained!!

My issue was that try as I might, I couldn't lose my weight. I've tried weight watchers twice, slimming world, Atkins, calorie counting-you name it!! None if them have worked. Plus I'm running about 10 miles a week so I'm not a couch potato either!

I rejoined WW 4 weeks ago and I've lost 3.5lbs so far (not great but I have lost my mom in that periodsad). I'm hoping the combination of the new points system and having the coil out will kick start the weight loss.

I was also really struggling with nasty mood swings and "brain fog".

On the plus side the mirena stopped my periods and hormonal headaches altogether.

I'm going to leave it for 6 months and see whether I feel better but if I don't I shall have it back in.

HTH

first1 Sat 01-Oct-11 07:03:45

Lost 9 lbs hmm

MayDayChild Sat 01-Oct-11 07:27:29

No weight gain
Still have hormonal spots
Hairier top lip!
Brilliant periods but by god they were dreadful like murder in the bathroom at hourly change time so I go with it just for that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now