Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I hear stories about having a coil please?

(7 Posts)
wantadvice Sun 25-Sep-11 15:42:16

I have very heavy periods sometimes only 2 weeks in between and so am often anaemic. Finally got courage to have a coil fitted but keep reading horror stories! Before I chicken out can I hear some postive stories please.

Aftereightsaremine Sun 25-Sep-11 19:48:31

I have the mirena coil & had it fitted under a general.
Gynae did a scrape as well at same time to see if medical reason for heavy periods- there wasn't.

Once you get over initial discomfort it's brilliant periods much lighter & more regular.

I would def do it again if I had to.

catsareevil Sun 25-Sep-11 19:52:44

I have a coil (copper rather than mirena) and its brilliant. The fitting was painful, but now its great, no bother at all, and never need to think about contraception.

Choufleur Sun 25-Sep-11 19:55:23

If you have really heavy periods you may find a copper one makes them worse. Mine are certainly much heavily and I get some sporadic bleeding with mine.

Mirenas do make periods lighter/less or stop them but I've had one and wouldn't have another one.

Someone else will be along to say that they are on their 2nd though - everyone is different.

rubyrubyruby Sun 25-Sep-11 19:59:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Sun 25-Sep-11 21:56:03

I got a Mirena 2 months ago - Best thing I have ever done! I took 2 ibruprofen and 2 paracetemol about half an hour before I went in, as advised by the doc - I too had very very heavy periods, to the point where I was wearing massive night time pads and having to change them every 2 hours, they were so painful it was ridiculous!

So I had been thinking about it for 2 years (Since DS was born) - sounds perfect for me as DS was no planned and we don't intend to have any more children until our finances are sorted (so atleast the 5 years we are covered by the mirena)

To the details - It was a bit weird, apart from pregnancy I've never had anything looked at down there by a doc - I was very nervous, but the doc I saw was fab, she was very straight forward and asked if I wanted any other tests doing at the same time but I was so nervous I said no, she then asked me about my medical and family history then we got down to the knicker stripping, she told me to just relax and at this point a nurse came in to help out, she was very funny and actually did the trick to calm my nerves -

It did feel very weird, she clipped my womb and then within roughly 10 seconds it was all over, the nurse passed me a sanitary towel, I got dressed we said see you soon and I drove home - It was sore for a few days and the first period after that felt a bit like a contraction but it as literally one contraction type feeling then a very light bleed for about 6 days, for which I used normal sanitary towels which was very nice ha ha

Now, it does feel weird but if your periods were anything like mine then DO IT, I cannot stress enough how much better this has made my life and its only been 2 months!

Nevercan Mon 26-Sep-11 09:25:06

I have my mirena coil fitted a week ago. I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. It was no worse than a smear test and over in about 5 mins. I took no pain relief before and a paracetamol afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now