Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had the mirena coil put in under a general anastethic?

(8 Posts)
DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Tue 30-Aug-11 19:02:12

Can I ask why and how was it? Have you had any problems since?

I am booked in, and it seems a bit drastic! But after two failed attempts at getting it put it, it has been recommended.

orienteerer Tue 30-Aug-11 19:06:07

Yes, but only because I was having another procedure anyway. I love my mirena, no problems after initial bleeding. 5 years on I'm now on my second one, have to say that having it changed without GA was pretty awful so I fully sympathise with you, no you are not being OTT by having a GA.

mosschops30 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:09:50

Yes i had my 2nd one put in under general (privately)

My first was done by the GP, but after my 3rd dc i had PTSD after a traumatic childbirth so was unable to have it done awake.

It was the best decision ever, i had a hysteroscopy at the same time. The anaesthetist didnt even intubate, he just maintained my airway (at my request, they may use a laryngeal mask for you) as the procedure was over so quickly.

I will always have a GA in future and never have one put in awake again

Hth smile

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Tue 30-Aug-11 19:15:37

Thank you for your quick replies, it just seems like such a drastic option, but having the gyneacologist fail to put it in today I guess it is my only option if I want one.

I am having it for health reasons rather than contraception, which somehow makes it feel less OTT (in my head) but still feel a bit wobbly about it.

mosschops30 Tue 30-Aug-11 19:23:42

Dont worry about it, just be grateful that its going in whilst youre asleep grin.
i used to work in anaesthetics and if i oukd ave a GA just to go to the dentist i woukd grin

LauraSmurf Tue 30-Aug-11 19:51:54

I did.

Simply because i was a virgin! My doctor said (and i quote) If you arent in the habit of sticking things up there yourself, we don't like to awake!

I was a very nervous virgin, who it was virtually impossible to get smears from in their defence!

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Wed 31-Aug-11 10:45:34

Thank you all. I think I feel a bit daft after all my friends say "oh yes, having it fitted is absolutely fine, don't worry about it" but at least I now know it is not just me being soft grin

loubielou31 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:31:22

I had mine put in yesteday and it bloody hurts. I'd like to think that if I was in the UK I'd get gas and air to take the edge off the pain but not here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now